Thirteen

“I suggest we bring you to the doctor, in case it’s something more serious than―”

          My body stiffened at Cody’s statement. Or rather, suggestion. No way, he couldn’t. I can’t. No, this can’t happen. But I can’t keep showing a solemn expression or he would just flip out and think there might be a problem! He’s stubborn, too.

          Crap.

          Making sure a grin had spread across my face, I tried to make it at the very least half-hearted so as to make sure Cody doesn’t see through me (like he always does) before letting out a (slightly) forced laugh. I promise, I’ve tried to make it seem as natural as it could. “I suggest we let me recover and not move around.”

          “But we can always invite the doctor over,” he pointed out, then shooting me―or more like himself, a triumphant grin, as though realizing a good idea, which, to him he probably just had thought of one.

          Why? My heart was thumping loudly and insanely quickly, and I probably haven’t felt like that before. It’s like a first time, you know? I didn’t even get this kind of fearful feeling yesterday, when the truth of my illness was almost spilled.

          Now this just proves that I’m truly afraid.

          If I really go to the doctor, or have the doctor come to me, my life is going to be over. Cody would force me, without a single doubt at all, to go for chemotherapy to get cured, which is exactly the opposite of what I want and, yeah. Though, that’s if he still wants to be my boyfriend (very likely, considering I’ve known him longer than he knows me) so.

          My life has already been shortened by God so why go against it, am I right? Like, don’t even say it doesn’t make sense because I know it does.

          Pulling my eyebrows into a frown, I heaved a sigh. “Do you really want me to go to the doctor’s, so bad?” I already knew his answer, to be honest. I wanted to procrastinate and pull him off topic when I can. Well, if I have the chance, anyway.

          He crossed his arms over his chest tightly before bending down so that our eye contact was at the same level. My heart actually began racing faster, making my skin crawl as the goosebumps on my arms arose. Oh, dear. He looked like he was determined for me to have a more thorough checkup.

          I am officially, crapping myself again.

          “Yes,” he said, before leaning in quickly and pecking the tip of my nose in the lightest way possible, leaving tingles on my skin. I should be worried, but somehow, I feel somewhat high from the tingles that I’ve received. They got the best of me and it isn’t the best thing in the world. He straightened himself right after a few seconds before plopping down right next to me. “I just want to make sure everything’s fine.”

          “Do you not trust me?” I asked, feigning hurt. Though, I really wasn’t. He had every right and ounce to doubt on me because I truly was lying. I can’t even believe I’d managed to keep this lie going for this long, to be frank. I’ve never been the kind of girl to get a lie to last long. The truth usually slips out in a few hours, but.

          For this, I’m going to muster up determination because no matter what, I don’t want anybody to find out about my deepest secret.

          He melodramatically sighed, making me pull a long face for a second there. “Not again―Mer, it’s not that I don’t trust you; I’m just so worried about your health. I don’t want you falling ill on tour with me because there’s somewhere I’m bringing you tomorrow.”