Twenty-eight

“Oh, my God! That blouse is so cute!” Alli squealed beside me, hooking her arm tighter with mine and pulling me to the side glass of the shop to get a closer look.

          I couldn’t say I could disagree, if this girl says one is nice, then it shall be nice for she has taste in clothes.

          “It is, actually! But Alli, if I can recall, I actually remember you wearing a pink one of this design a couple of weeks ago? Are you sure you want to get this one?”

          “Well, that’s because I couldn’t find a white one, or I wouldn’t have purchased the pink,” she stated in a matter-of-factly, making me grin at how straightforward and certain she is about things like that.

          “Hey,” Angie called out sternly but playfully, “I’m the oldest among the both of you. Therefore, I call shots, ‘kay? Come on, let’s carry on walking—and Alli, spend your money wisely like your brother, please. I’m trusting you with your money, okay.”

          “Sure, Mom. Sure.”

          “Are you ladies hungry, yet?” Brad asked, coming up beside Angie who was beside me. “There’s a restaurant just straight ahead—”

          “Italian?!” Alli eagerly fired; her big blue eyes nearly bulging out in excitement.

          “Italian— Chinese— Mexican— you name it, they have it,” Brad smoothly ended, sending a wink at her way before slanting slightly towards Angie, leaning in to peck her cheek. Well, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t envious of them; at least they could genuinely behave the way they do in public.

          I craned my neck and turned around to sneak a glance at Cody, and the only one that could snag my attention away from all those other people behind was this specific tall blond mate who had his hair pulled up into a perfect smooth quiff, holding his brother’s hand rather tightly in fear that he might get lost in the sea of people on this street.

          I smiled, but did so mostly to myself pretty much admiring how cute they looked—Cody didn’t even notice me looking at him, and adorably, Tom didn’t either; they were all too busy staring at the opposite building considering there were different rectangular country flags sticking out at the top of the building, making it seem colorful.

          But, I’d like to think Tom was the one who made Cody look because we all know Cody would rather be looking at shops we pass by, or his phone.

          Nonetheless, not that I didn’t like walking with Alli—my best friend—or Angie and Brad—my boyfriend’s and my best friend’s parents—I really wish to walk with Cody, be by his side, and just, I don’t know…

          Walk like we’re a thing, because that’s what we are. Like we have nothing to separate us, the media included. I just wanted to feel him against my skin.

          In a clean way, if you get what I mean.

          “You know, Merinda?” Angie quietly but playfully began beside my ear, making me jump slightly, taken aback. I lessened the strain on my neck and turned a hundred and eighty-degrees just to face her.

          I flashed her a little smile when she carried on, winking at me before. “If you really want to walk with him so badly, I could just call Tommy over and have him walk with me while you go spend a little time with your boy over there.”

          I cleared my throat slightly loudly to take the chance and lower my head as a cover up, to ignore the pinks slowly tinting themselves on my cheeks, and how fast my ribcage allowed my heart to beat. Oh, well, this is awkward. Even Angie noticed my thoughts, wow.