Thirty-two

Matt:

          “Wait a minute,” Justin paused, turning to me as he tightened his jaw; eyebrows knitting into one of the deepest frowns I’ve ever seen him wear. “Didn’t you say there was a doctor on board with you, just to take care of Mer? So where is he?”

          “Well, after all he is a doctor,” I paused; hoping I’d practically made my point there, but still went on anyway. “He has no other choice but to work with the other doctors in this hospital because Mer’s case isn’t small, and as simple as it seems to be.”

          “What? Why isn’t it small?” Justin inquired, making Ryan grumble, as he remained seated by the side, his once light brown eyes darkening by a shade of frustration. I didn’t avert my attention fully on that though, Cody was coming out soon and if I don’t get Justin to shut up, things won’t go well.

          “Look, Mer’s not in the best condition, and neither is she in a good one. Apparently the cancerous cells in her body has taken its toll on her, so now she’s in a temporary coma that might last as long as month, and there’s nothing we could possibly do about that.”

          “And what about his tour?” He asked yet again, pulling his fist up against his hip, “his next show in Europe is in three days. What are we going to do with Mer, then? She can’t just stay here, in some foreign country without care from one of us?”

          “I’ve yet to discuss that with Mitchell, so leave it to me.”

          “Well, then. I’m going to find Alli because I think it’s better if Ryan talked to Cody himself—”

          “Yeah, yeah,” Ryan waved his hands dismissively before his face with a growl, chasing Justin away. “Damn you, Justin! Annoying bugger,” he muttered under his breath, giving his head a shake, probably to rid Justin’s voice and all his previous words away from his mind.

          I don’t blame him though, Justin could get as annoying as a fly trying to make itself comfortable on a horse’s butt. But I’m used to it now; I guess we all are. I couldn’t possibly imagine how things would go if he came alone and were the one to talk Cody through—it would no doubt, obviously become trouble.

          And the worse thing yet, he’d go through all that trouble for absolutely nothing.

          “Are you going to keep this expression up while talking to Cody, or?” I began with a chuckle, keeping my gaze fixated onto Ryan, who in return raised his head to look at me with his eyebrows raised.

          He almost immediately pulled a solemn face, “No, of course not! I’m going to change my facial expression to this, and I’m going to beat around the bush for like about fifteen minutes before going straight to the point at the twentieth, then start bombarding him questions at the twenty-fifth minute.”

          “You and Justin have to get along,” I let out a laugh at his sarcasm before hearing him sigh in disapproval, “he’s not that bad—or annoying. He can get really understanding at times, if he’s gotten enough information to know about.” And it was true.

          “I shall try, but I don’t mean I will,” he nodded briefly, before his eyes diverted from mine to look at the nurse that was coming our way—it was time for Cody to make his appearance now. “This is it, right?”

          “Yes.”

Cody:

          “Sir, visiting hours are now over. Please kindly move out of the ward.”