Thirty-five

Merinda:

          “And please don’t forget to call me if you ever feel that you need—”

          “Mom,” I interrupted with a quick, soft giggle, “don’t worry about it. I hold a strong will towards living life; even if another round of pain attacks me, you’ll still be able to hear my voice again. I can’t be defeated, and as my mother, I think you’d have already known by now.”

          “Yes, I do get it, but I’m just making sure you’re fine,” she patiently, gently and carefully voiced out, making my lips stretch into a little small smile, unknowingly. “And don’t forget to take care of yourself, all right? Drink lots of water, have a proper diet—no more skipping meals; so on and so forth, clear?”

          “Crystal,” I laughed quietly. “It’s already half past midnight, Mom. You’d better get some sleep before them wrinkles start making an appearance on your beautiful, young face!”

          “You and your silly phrases. Yes, yes, I do have a couple of important things to do tomorrow, from morning so I’m going to turn in right about now. Take care, sweetheart, and remember, Mom’s always here for you—no matter what time it is.”

          “Love you, Mom.”

          “I love you, too, honey.”

          Dropping the phone on my lap, I slowly, really really slowly pushed myself backwards so that my back could touch the dipping softness of the pillow, without hurting myself internally anywhere due to the fact that I had just returned from my very second chemotherapy session.

          Sure, it was crap, but… I have to do this.

          I didn’t really have another choice anymore, anyway.

          “Painful?” Cody began asking; the sympathy in his voice so thick it was impossible disregarding it. “How do you feel? Are you all right?”

          “How very observant you are, babe,” I stifled a slightly sarcastic chuckle at his gullibility as I draped my arm over my stomach loosely, “not to be mean, but, you could effectively ask questions that are less redundant at the moment, instead.”

          Instead of growing mad at my remark, however, his face only dropped deeper into the ocean of empathy, even though I’m more than sure he understood nothing about the pain I was experiencing—apart from feeling it ever so slightly through my every facial expression.

          Suddenly feeling a rush of air running into my mouth, I heaved the loudest, longest and heaviest sigh I’ve yet to let out for a pretty long time. Unlike most times where I would do it for the sake of it, or because of happiness, this one was for my unfortunate life.

          Not that I’m complaining. Just… simply saying.

          “When can I be discharged? When is your next show? Oh, shit,” I unintentionally cussed, feeling my eyes widen after every ticking second. “What happened to your tour schedule?”

          Can I please start thinking about others as well? (With many, many, many more invisible question marks added right after). Why is it that I’m always so caught up with myself? I just don’t get it.

          It’s no wonder why Cody constantly got furious about it…

          “I got it, baby,” he chuckled after a moment, cupping my hands with his before slowly bringing them up to his lips, brushing them lightly against my cold knuckles. “It’s funny how you’re thinking about this when you should be resting. Just stop thinking so much about everything, close your eyes and rest.”