Thirty-four

Merinda:

          “Merinda,” Michael greeted me with a small smile, either a) ignoring the sarcasm dripping off my words or b) too big of an airhead to not realize. 

          I resisted the urge to just break all physical contacts I had with Cody, just to run over and do something to him that I might regret, later on in life.  And, as usual, as though able to read my hidden thoughts like an open book, Cody’s gave my hip a light squeeze, making me soften in a blink of an eye.

          “Remember what I told you?” Cody questioned next to me, igniting the ball of questions at the back of my head to start raveling into my thoughts. I narrowed my eyes slightly, slowly, inconspicuously, watching as Michael’s expression turned into one of disbelief—or let me rephrase, the mocking kind of disbelief.

          “Really, Cody?” Michael shot back with his mouth curved upwards to form a light contemptuous smile. “I can’t believe you still think you’re able to control your senior, considering it is; has been; and always will be the other way round.”

          “Yeah?”

          I felt Cody’s chest reverberate against my back, which only made me lean closer towards his chest, in the slightest bit of fear that something bad might happen from Michael’s side. I know I shouldn’t feel that way, but I just can’t help it.

          What makes it even better would be the fact that I’m currently seated in the middle of the both of them, as they try talking (more like trashing) things out in a retorting manner. Needless to say… It was honestly difficult not to feel even the slightest bit afraid.

          “You—” He swiftly cut Michael off with a snicker.

          “Well, guess what!” Cody chirped gleefully, making my eyebrows furrow instinctively. “News flash, mate—I’m young, responsible, and thoughtful. Unlike someone here…” I could feel his eyes darting a step downward at Michael’s figure, antagonizing him. “Yeah, well. There you have the difference.”

          “That’s one hell of a retarded comparison,” my father barked a laugh, shaking his head at Cody. “Whatever floats your boat, buddy, whatever floats your boat. But if you don’t mind, would you please let me speak to Merinda?” He paused, observing Cody’s hard facial expression. “Alone.”

          “I told you—”

          This time, it was my turn to cut Cody off, as my gaze locked with Michael’s.

          “He’s going to stay by my side. If anyone here should leave, clearly it’s you because you don’t even have one right to play the father role in my life anymore,” I gritted my teeth together, deepening the scrunch of my eyebrows. “I don’t even understand why you’re here—just leave.”

          If this was an animated movie… I’m not even going to lie—I’m sure I’ll have smoke running right out of my ears even though there’s nothing written on my face apart from collectedness.

          “I wanted to talk to you about why I left…” Every hint of tease, anger and frustration had collapsed down to only the tone of genuiness. “I didn’t think you would recognize me so quickly, but I guess I underestimated you.”

          “You underestimate everyone,” Cody hissed lowly, “you think you’re so big, when really, you’re nothing but a piece of sh—” I pressed my palm lightly against Cody’s toned chest, shutting him up at instant.

          The last thing I needed was for Cody to add fuel to the fire—we all know we wouldn’t be entirely thrilled by that.

          Being completely oblivious to Michael’s behavior, I rolled my eyes to the door behind his figure as I folded my arms across my chest, expressing how pissed I was, and honestly still am about this whole thing.