Twenty-six

Merinda:

          “So what’s on the agenda from now?" Matt paused.

          “Is that Merinda, you’re going to have to go through a small check up, but other than going out to dine for din, we’re just staying in the hotel and slacking off ‘cause it was a tiring journey from Paris, yeah?”

          Matt looked from one person to the other after informing, just to be reassured that we were fine.

          I nodded, along with the crew who heaved loud sighs in exhaustion. My eyes couldn’t stop traveling to Dr. Anderson, the Simpsons’ family doctor, though. He gave me a strong feeling of familiarity, it’s almost like I’ve seen him before.

          Big brown eyes with wavy light brown hair that he brushed all the way behind that gave him a fatherly image and a broad smile that displayed his sparkling white teeth—he was way too familiar for my liking.

          Especially since I just can’t seem to figure out where in the world I’ve ever seen him!

          “Merinda, are you ready to begin with your check up?” Mr. Anderson asked with a firm smile on his face, making me squirm a little in my seat. I’ve never felt comfortable with doctors, much less having to go through a check up—or chemotherapy with one right now, or later.

          My eyes flew right up to look at Cody when he instantly voiced out, though, catching my attention.

          “Can I follow? After all, I’m Merinda’s boyfriend—Doc, you can’t say no to me, can you?” Cody cheekily smirked at Dr. Anderson, wrapping his arms around my waist to pull me closer.

          Though, he slid his hand down slightly and pressed his palm firmly on my hip, resting it there while I absentmindedly melted under his arm.

          Dr. Anderson’s expression switched from a happy one to a dubious one almost instantly, making me frown.

          Who was he to judge Cody and me? He doesn’t even know anything about us. My teeth grounded together tightly as I raged in silence.

          I hadn’t realized how obvious my discomfort was, but the moment Cody reached for my hand and slid his fingers between the gaps of mine from the back of my palm and gave it a light squeeze, I knew I had to erase the look on my face and try not to be bothered.

          “Boyfriend?” Dr. Anderson began, “I haven’t seen any articles about the both of you? Not even on the ones my daughter reads!”

          “That’s because we don’t want anybody to know just yet,” Cody paused, grazing his thumb over my palm softly. “And I trust you not to tell anyone, not even your daughter.”

          “Oh,” he stopped short, “okay. Well, let’s not waste any more time.”

          As we walked down the short hallway (with many rooms), we stopped before one in the middle of nowhere and pushed the door open after unlocking it. Man, this hotel’s huge.

          “Okay, it would be best if you made yourself comfortable before we go on to doing anything else. I’ll just give you a check up, and after that I’ll proceed on to explaining what usually goes through during chemotherapy—and this is just a slight warning, that it isn’t pleasant.”

          While the doctor walked away to attend to something in some place, his last few words replayed in my mind, slowly, softly, and painfully.