Three

“Hey, how you doin’?”

         Well, yeah. That’s what Cody asked without looking up as he grabbed a CD off the whole stack of it, and signing it. I cleared my throat and tried to have my voice as low as I so it was (I hope!) as close as a guy’s.

         “I’m doing great, mate. What about you?”

         It was hard saying that without laughing, really. I had to contain my laughter all the way until he looked up at me; which, wasn’t before three minutes later, may I add. This kid’s…oh, this kid.

         When his aqua-colored-slash-surprised pair of eyes met mine, I unintentionally flashed him a toothy smile only to earn back a small chuckle and an excited tone, “Hey! I see you’re finally here!”

         “Of course I’m here. Wouldn’t miss this for the world,” I let out a small laugh before moving to the side so that the person behind me could get his signed CD. Oh, free Paradise giveaway. How much more nicer could he and his management be?

         “Would you mind waiting for a while? I still got over a hundred to sign before this ends,” he turned to me for a second, and as if on cue he sent a cool smile my way before tuning down his voice so only I could hear him say, “then I could bring you to meet Alli and hangout.”

         Did he just say what I thought he’d just say?! Oh, my gosh. Oh my gosh!  I drew in a deep breath to calm my nerves, and managed to shoot him a nervous smile, “Sure, no problem. I’ll, uh, be here if you need me.” And then I sat my butt down on the chair behind him.

         Steady chair.

         Just then though, a blond, bubbly-looking girl with light sparkly blue eyes standing before Cody shifted her gaze from him and on to me with a confused look that made me feel all conscious again. She was…she looked like a natural doll and that made me…envious. And sickeningly enough, my insecurity returned to me for a good visit. “Who are you, and how are you related to Cody?”

         ...soooo. Remember when I said she was all pretty and cheerful, and oh-so likeable-like? Well, I take it back. I shouldn’t have judged her so early. She was artificial internally and honestly, she didn’t deserve the doubt I had on myself to surface. She wasn’t up the standard of my ‘nice’ and won’t ever be.

         I opened my mouth to tell her nicely that I was just another Angel of Cody’s, when a gentle voice cut me off a little more nicely than what I would’ve told her.

         “Oh, she’s my friend,” Cody said, trying to convince her, but it didn’t seem like it was working! Friend. He even used the term friend and yet she still didn’t believe him. Gah, please don’t tell me she feels the same way as I do towards Cody. Please, please, please.

         Then again, when did I ever sent hateful glares and everything to Kylie Jenner when she was hanging out with Cody? I mean, I faced the fact that we never would and never could be together, like a couple, so clearly I had to move on and give him my blessing, right?

         Besides…they looked really cute together, and I suspect there’s a thing going on between them, and they’re just trying to hide their (secret) relationship away from the media so as to not cause any further drama.

         Possible, huh?

         When I raised my head to look up (I actually didn’t know I’d lowered my head while I was thinking), I was surprised to see that the girl had completely forgotten about my existence when she began to flirt with Cody.

         Being Cody, oh, Cody…of course my homie returned the must-do gesture.

         I mean, it’s understandable though. It’s almost like, what every famous guy would do with their female fans. Obviously they’d flirt, right? I mean, I don’t know why or how to word it out, but I’ve heard that it’s a compulsory thing to do otherwise fans would suspect and crap would rise up, and…you know how this works.

         I decided to drop my gaze back onto my lap and closed my eyes to ignore the wrenching of my heart. I’ve said it before… But I only feel this sad because I’m a fan. Despite loving him more than an idol, I also get the pain of a true fan’s when they see their idol flirt with some stranger.

         I’m not saying it’s abnormal, though. It’s perfectly natural. At least, it’s humanly; if that reason’s even valid for situations like that.

         “Cody, has she arrived yet?” A rather familiar voice caught my attention. Without permission, my head was lifted and I was staring at one of the most gorgeous ladies in the universe. At least in Australia! She’s too pretty. Alli Michelle Simpson was standing right before my eyes.

         This might sound dumb and all, but I really like her fashion taste and her personality. That’s not what I was trying to imply that might sound dumb. I’m saying I look up to her. Why? Because she’s not really shy, not really quiet and she’s never afraid of being her enthusiastic self in front of everyone, even when nobody’s watching.

         It’s good to know that she had enough confidence to feel that way.

         “She’s right behind me, Alli. Just look behind me. Gosh,” Cody shook his head one second after he gave out a loud laugh, probably laughing at his eager sister. Who was she looking for?

         “Are you Merinda?” And in just a second, she was standing literally in front of me with hopeful eyes and a large smile. I loved her hair! Okay, so I’m being random for no particular reason.

         …oh, just let me calm myself down by distracting myself!

         “Yeah, I am,” I felt the corners of my lips tugging and twitching, and the next thing I knew, I was smiling as wide as Alli, “and you’re Alli! Hi!” I stood up from my chair and was instantly pulled into her arms, in excitement.

         “I’m so excited to meet you! Cody told me lots about you,” she pulled back from the hug and stared at me with her huge, blue eyes. Oh, goodness, me. Her uber light blue eyes were a thousand times more beautiful in person, you know. It’s just too eye-catching and attractive.

         No, I am definitely straight. I mean, duuuuuude, she and Cody, plus Tom could be the three most perfect siblings ever. Have you just seen the way they behave? You know, I could ramble on discursively, aimlessly, but I would rather not, really. Plus, you’d thank me for this.

         I forgot I’d been standing there just like a fool, so I decided to just grin to shrug off my uneasiness. I’m actually very certain I’m radiating off awkwardness.

         “Come on, I wanna show you off to our parents,” she grabbed my hand and pulled me off with her as we quickly walked towards a small room that looked just like a dressing room.

         What did Cody tell her about me? Or, how did he even describe me to her? What if he doesn’t know the real me? What if who I am was just a façade? What ifs here, and what ifs there. However, one thing that’s definitely unambiguous, though? I’m inside and out, fully me.

         Besides, if I were to be dying soon…why don’t I just stay as me and die as me? That’s all I could ever ask for, anyway. Plus, there’s no other one I could be besides myself because everyone’s already taken.

         And just so you know, there’s a huge difference between being similar and being identical. Yeah, it may not seem obvious…but it sure as heck’s different.

         “Hey, Alli?” I called out when we were still walking, nearing the dressing room. Gah, this small seemed so big yet so small. Hm.

         “Mhmm?”

         “What if I’m not who Cody describes me to be?”

         Oh my gosh, I’m afraid she’d get mad at me and ignore me. Gah, how much dumber could I honestly get?!

         The next second, she stopped in her tracks, and since she was still pulling me by the had, it resulted in me stopping along with her. She loosened the grasp she had on my hand and swiftly crossed her arms over her chest with a face like, ‘Okay, what?’  before opening her mouth to speak.

         “Okay, first of all, I don’t believe in idiocy. I mean, if you were different… I doubt you would even say a thing because you wouldn’t want me to know about how and what you really are like, because you know things between you and Cody would end really tragically, so…”

         She’s fourteen, right? Are you sure she’s not like, forty-one or something? How could she be so intelligent?

         I flashed her a huge smile, “Okay, fine. You saw through me. I was just asking you.”

         She hooked her arm through mine and grinned, “More like testing! But come on, seriously. Before Cody gets back, I’d better introduce you to our parents. By the way, you do know that we’re going to the beach after this, right?”

         “We are?”

         My voice didn’t come out shocked like how I had expected it to be. Instead though, it sounded as though I was surprised. Which, I’m not saying I wasn’t; I was. Why were we going to the beach for?

         “Oh-kay, so I’m assuming Cody didn’t tell you,” she went on, ignoring my confused expression, “but you’ll see. You’ll know lots of people there. Definitely.”

         “Like who?” I was desperate to know. The way she ended off her statement sounded just so exciting and she sounded so sure herself, it made me give a serious wonder about who I would know there.

         “Like I’d said, you’ll know them. Thy shalt not be aware of the mystery,” she wiggled her fingers before our faces to leave more suspense, but it only left twice as much humor. The both of us gave out a long good laugh, and before  knew it, Brad and Angie were standing right at the side of the room which I’d just stepped into.

         “So, yeah, I presume you know my parents’ names?”

         “Duh, who doesn’t? Brad and Angie Simpson,” I winked at her to show that I was confident. Not really no, I didn’t feel confident at all. In fact, I was getting the jitters and I was so nervous it’s as though I was gonna pee in my shorts at any second.

         The moment I’d ended my sentence, Brad and Angie turned their attention on me and almost immediately their faces formed huge smiles. So now I get where Alli got her smile from… Brad. Weird enough. Everyone in the family seemed to like smiling, but not Cody.

         Heh.

         “Hey, there! Are you Merinda?” Angie came over to me and gave me a small, warm and welcoming hug that sort of made me less nervous somehow.

         Oh, I was so grateful to her for that. Maybe now I could speak without stammering and feeling apprehensive. Lesser, like I’d said, anyway.

         “You know, Cody’s talked a lot about you,” Brad added on after Angie, sending a playful wink at my way, and I could do was grin foolishly because that’s all I could do. With all my best efforts, it’s seriously all I could do.

         Why?

         Because it seemed like Cody’s told everyone about me, and now the jitters are back. Ohhhh, boy. But you know, I still love him nonetheless. No, it’s not because he told everyone about me, but because he was excited about my presence. And for the first time, I felt good. Real good. And appreciated.

         Looks like I’ve got another thing that needs to be added on my list of things, huh? What, you may ask? Well, it’s to always love Cody Robert Simpson ever after I’ve risen up to heaven.

         And boy, oh boy, am I excited to go to the beach with the Simpsons.