Twenty-five

Merinda:

          I don’t know what time it was, or what day it was, but the very moment my extremely heavy eyelids detached from the bottom of my eyes, it was dark.

          Dark.

          It was the only word that I could describe what I could see—or rather, tell. In the moment of sudden panic, I quickly sat up and tried to focus better on bright things around me, anything bright, but I couldn’t make out anything at all; it’s like I was stuck in a cooling, dark place and that really did scared me inside out.

          Before I could begin spreading my legs and my arms out to feel all that were beside me, the room suddenly brightened by a thousand times — to my eyes — in a familiar shade of orange, and it wasn’t until then, when realization struck me hard on the head, and reminded me that I was at nowhere but on the tour bus.

          That means with Cody.

          From the start, I had been expecting myself to be alone, but the moment something shifted next to me, I knew it was otherwise. And I really, really don’t know how to feel about that.

          “What’s wrong?” A smooth, velvety voice asked behind me, making me stone for a short moment to allow my mind to register what just happened… or what I just heard. Really? He’s going to be here after our quarrel? I don’t exactly mean it like he couldn’t or shouldn’t, but…

          Really? Just really?

          “Mer?”

          I absentmindedly allowed my head to shake from side to side quickly in a swift motion, before stopping; my hair in a mess; turning around to face him—Cody. I looked at the wall behind him instead. Don’t look in his eyes, don’t look in his eyes, don’t look in his eyes… “Nothing’s wrong, I’m fine. And now, I need to use the toilet so, bye.”

          I was a nanosecond away from dropping my leg down the side of the bed, when something warm curled themselves around my wrist, stopping me from carrying on moving at instant. “Don’t do that.”

          “Don’t do what? Go to the toilet feeling annoyed, then fainting when my sickness bites me in the ass? Ha,” I breathed out air, “sorry, but that’s a tough thing to do.” I sarcastically responded, instinctively slipping my arm around and over my stomach, in case something sharp attacked me again, and I was mentally prepared for it already.’

          Expecting a childish (like how I’m behaving currently) remark back, I dropped my gaze from the wall and untwisted my body, lowering my head in exhaustion and exertion. My wrist was starting to warm up between his fingers, but I didn’t mind—I just wanted to find a reason to be mad at him because at the moment, I didn’t feel like being nice to him.

          Although he was, somehow a victim too, but still at least I should have a little fun with this. Then again, maybe not because then more trouble will appear… Ugh. Whatever. Certain things must come to an end, because there are limitations in every single thing.

          Despite the both of us already sitting like this for about five minutes or more, Cody was still quiet. So quiet that I was beginning to feel comfortable because the Cody I knew was never able to keep in something immature for more than thirty seconds.

          I timidly craned my neck back and kept half of my eyes curtained over by my hair as my light brown eyes met Cody’s pair of present dark blue eyes—had he been staring at me all the while? I pursed my lips into a tight line, waiting for him to explode, to do anything big to make me feel something bad about myself.