Prologue

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Baker, but I’m afraid your daughter has kidney cancer.” 

          Those words were enough to scare the heck out of my mom, her face turning pale where I thought she was ready to faint the next second the moment she heard the last two words of the sentence.

          As much as I’d wanted to be afraid, to scream and to cry, just making a big fuss out of this, I couldn’t. I honestly couldn’t do anything.

          My mind was in shock at that point, and my arms and limbs were so numb to the extent where I couldn’t even feel them, much less move.

          I held on to those words for the next few days…

But as more days passed by, my senses kicked in and I suddenly became fearful. I feared not of the cancer I had, but the time I was left with, to fulfill the bucket list I have.

          So silly, you may think.

          But not when you have cancer and ten things you want having done throughout your life. You have got years ahead of you, but I have got God knows how many years ahead of me. That’s why I’m afraid of not being able to accomplish them in time.

          And that’s also partly why I dug out my bucket list before I kicked the bucket.

          Although my cancer’s not terminal and I was given the chance, and still am holding onto it, I wasn’t going to go through radiation or chemotherapy. I mean, if everyone were to leave this planet eventually that meant I was going to leave sooner or later too.

          Except, mine was sooner instead of later. And if this was what God has planned for me, then why should I bother going against it?

          Brought up by a pretty holy mother, I do have beliefs in which God has created me for a purpose and also planned for my future. He brought me into this world, I am grateful.

          He wants me to leave this world, then I have got absolutely no choice but to obey and leave. Even my mom previously had said that she wouldn’t go against His plans too, if she suffered from Cancer, because if that's what God really wants for her, then there shall be no stopping.

          But now that her own daughter’s having those cancerous cells in her body, she’s finally understood the pain and wanted me to go for the treatments.

          I was left totally and utterly speechless for that, to be honest. But what was she to do if her daughter objected to her decision? Precisely, nothing.

          But what’s worse was that after a couple of weeks later, both my mom and me received a phone call from my aunt who lives in Los Angeles. She needed my mom’s help with something I shouldn’t and don’t know of, and had to fly her over to the other side.

          Oh, well.

          Apparently I couldn’t go, but I wasn’t complaining, I promise. I was old enough to take good care of myself ― I was fifteen ― and yes, I was old enough to take care of myself because a single mom, who’s the best mom in the world, raised me.

          Plus, I’m really independent. Seriously.

          She had to go there for several months, and to be honest, I felt fine.

          In spite of the fact that she was being all mom-ish, getting worried about this, about that, about everything and whatever her mind could think of, I mean.

          I still managed to persuade her into going, saying I really could take care of myself and every other assuring thing that I’m sure she needed coming from me to reassure herself.

          Plus, I still had ten things on my bucket list I needed to realize. And I was going to carry them out all by myself.