Thirty-three

Cody:

          “Well, can we all go in now?”

          Michael flashed all of us simple small smiles before nodding without hesitation. “Yeah, yeah! Of course you may—”

          “Michael,” I called out calmly before he could make his move and take the first step into the room. “You’re not going anywhere near Merinda.”

          “She’s my daughter, Cody,” he firmly responded, having to tilt his head up when looking at me because I was a couple centimeters taller than he was. “I have every right to go near her or not, because I’m her father. That said, I hope you’re aware of the fact that you are incapable of telling me what to do.”

          “Well, funny,” I let out a sadistic, humorless laugh. “Ever since she became my girlfriend, I’ve never once left her side—and I’m just her boyfriend. But there’s you… Her own father who left her when she was a young child, having to survive through a childhood with an incomplete family. Seriously, Michael?” I paused, tilting my head to the side. “Could you be even more selfish?”

          “I—” I cut him off with a simple clear of throat.

          “I wasn’t done,” I grounded my teeth for a brief second. “And then there’s you, over here, dressed just like your brother for a doctor when really, you’re nowhere near being dexterous as him. Who do you think you’re going to fool? Because clearly, if you can’t fool me, neither will you be able to fool Merinda, because she’s smarter than you think.”

          “I had my reasons for leaving them!” He collectedly responded, occasionally clenching and unclenching his fists that were by his sides, alternately, trying to keep his cool but, it was pretty obvious his patience was running thin by me. “So since you’re unaware of anything, please just…”

          “I told you, you’re not going anywhere near Merinda so—”

          Before I could register what happened next, I was shoved roughly against the wall with the collars of my shirt pulled tightly, upwards, nearly suffocating me due to the lack of oxygen I managed to inhale. I stared at Michael, this time, deciding to wear the nonchalant façade.

          “I see,” I began in an antagonizing manner, knowing I’d succeeded when his grip on my tightened. I had to hold myself back, even if it takes my last breath. “Merinda Anderson’s biological father taking on her boyfriend with the use of violence—what do you want, a round of applause with a standing ovation or something?” I chuckled darkly, watching as he started huffing air out from his nostrils thanks to fury.

          “I don’t know who taught you manners, but they sure as hell did a lousy job at it,” he spat, dropping his hand down to his side. “I won’t even bother handling you anymore.”

          “Wow, who would’ve known you would actually back down first? Why don’t you come swing your fist at me and bash me up? That’s a dare, you know?” I challenged, trying to strike a nerve in him since he wanted to go against what I told him not to do. “Too scared now?”

          “I’m not a teenage boy anymore,” he simply responded, turning his back to face me. “Plus, I love my daughter way too much to hurt somebody she might actually love—”

          “Cody,” a soft, pained voice from the corner made my eyes snap towards theirs. My eyebrows furrowed when I noticed Alli’s cold blue eyes lining up with tears.