Twenty-one

Watching Cody walk down the stairs that led right up to the stage, the moment his eyes met mine, I flashed him a smile just as warmth began spreading around my insides from my heart.

          I began walking towards him, “You were amazing toni―”

          “Cody!” Chelsea popped out of nowhere, running over to Cody before I could reach him and locked her arm with his. “You were spectacular tonight!” We were both taken aback, that’s for sure. “Especially the time you―”

          And then I blocked her uninviting, revolting, sickeningly sweet tone out of my ears and cringed at how much she literally disgusted me.

          Ignoring Cody’s boring eyes behind me, I spun around and secretly rolled my eyes at how promiscuous Chelsea was being towards my boyfriend (not that I was jealous, I was just…pissed at how pathetic she was being at the moment) and heaved a sigh before walking towards Cody’s dressing room.

          “Hey, girl,” I voiced out instantly once I had reached the dressing room, earning back a gasp, followed by a startled Alli Michelle Simpson, and a painfully loud slam-shut of her laptop. I gave out a loud chuckle, throwing her a disapproving look as I shook my head.

          She tries too hard for someone who doesn’t want to be caught (almost all of the time) being on iChat with her boyfriend.

          “Can you please knock next time?!” She scolded, clutching her chest tightly and taking deep breaths in and out. “And no, I wasn’t doing what you think I was doing.”

          “What was I thinking you were doing?” I stared at her, not even bothering to feign innocence because she would just easily see right through it and pick on me for that.

          “I know you thought I was iChatting Jake,” she said in a matter of fact, sending me shooting her a smirk and a loud laugh.

          “How did you know I was thinking about that if you weren’t doing it?”

          Her face flushed pink and it wasn’t long before she managed to squeeze a shy cough out of her mouth. “So… What did you come in for…?”

          “Nothing,” I shrugged my shoulders, dropping the previous topic basing on her emotions, “Kelsey just snatched my boyfriend away from me and I had nowhere else to go and the air-conditioner in this room was cooler so I decided to drop by…and catch you and Jake―”

          “Okay! Enough!” She shrieked in embarrassment, her cheeks tinting pink once again. “I know that, you know that, we know that and that’s enough! Gosh, Mer, I can never beat you at this!”

          “And any of this,” I ran my hands down my body, before deciding to crack a lame joke, “except for cancer.”

          She didn’t answer me. Instead, she just kept on staring at me while I tried incredibly hard not to be bothered by it. I cleared my throat and raised my arm, reaching my hair with my fingers to rake it through loosely. “Stop staring at me like that, I won’t keep still. You should probably take a picture instead.”

          “Just don’t joke about anything like this anymore,” she said seriously, sending me small blinks of her eyes. “And, Cody’s arranged a doctor for you to have chemotherapy thrice every week since we aren’t always going to be on the road. It’s our home doctor, Mr. Anderson.”

          “Ah,” I wiggled my eyebrows, “the man shares my surname.”

          Alli cracked a grin at my stupid attempt of being amusing, before shaking her head. “Anyway, what are you going to do about Kelsey? Her presence is kind of driving me up the wall because―have, you, heard, her, voice? It’s like a chipmunk screaming for help on the peak of a mountain!”