44. Plans

Alvarrez

"Man, I wish I were as smart as you," Kris sighs, leaning back on her chair at the cafeteria table. "College applications are a bitch. Where are you applying anyway? Have you already decided on a major?"

I groan. College applications are everything everyone's been talking about for the past weeks. "I honestly don't know. I was thinking Engineering, but I feel like a lazy ass like me won't make it out of there alive."

"Ugh, math." Kris makes a puking gesture. "What about you, Alexis?"

"I've applied to Wharton. My dad wants me to take up Business, but I'm leaning more towards Architecture," Julia says nonchalantly. She looks at me and places a hand on my lap.

Wharton. There goes my chance of going to the same school as Julia. I try not to let my disappointment show. We haven't really talked about college all that much because I still have no idea what I want to do with my life, and Julia doesn't seem too enthusiastic to talk about it either. But I can't deny there's a part of me that assumed we'd want to go to the same university.

Kris lets out an appreciative whistle. "That's big."

"Didn't you get scouted for basketball, Alex?" Casey butts in. "I heard Diane did."

"Someone did talk to me, but I turned down the offer. I won't be playing in college." I was already contemplating the thought even before a scout approached me, but dropping basketball came easier than I thought. Sure, I love playing, but I figured I wouldn't have any time left for myself if I add another extracurricular activity once I enter college. "I might be preoccupied with some other stuff.." I drift off. At Julia's raised eyebrow, I shake my head. "Nevermind. I just know I want to do something with computers. I've been helping out in our labs and I have enough background. Plus, it's the future."

"If we don't go to the same school, I'm gonna miss you." Kris pouts.

I roll my eyes at her. "You're gonna miss me doing your math homework, you mean."

"That, too, but who am I gonna call at night when I want to get laid?"

Julia chokes on her water and I pull out a hanky from my pocket, softly dabbing it on her mouth.

I shoot a glare at Kris, who bursts out laughing. "I'm fucking with you. I meant no one would be my chaperone to drive me around bars and intimidate guys I don't like."

"Intimidate?" Julia raises an eyebrow at me. "She's as intimidating as a puppy."

"That's because she turns to a softie when she's with you. Oh, you should see her in action. She wraps a possessive hand on my waist and looks at the guys with her chin up and an expression that dares them to come closer. Fucking works like a charm. It also doesn't hurt that she's more handsome than half of them." Kris raises her hand, palm up. "But don't get jealous, that's just Lexi being a gentlewoman."

"I know." Julia smiles, takes my hanky, and pockets it. "She can be intimidating when she wants to."

Kris points an accusatory finger at her pocket. "I saw what you did there. That must've been the third handkerchief this week." She turns to me. "Just how many of those do you have?"

I shrug. "Enough." I did notice that my collection is diminishing faster than usual, but knowing that they all go to Julia instead of someone else, I didn't mind. She seems to have taken a liking to them though I never see her use any.

The conversation around the table flows easily, Julia giving her input even without prompting and casually joking around. It's good to see her relax around my friends. When the girls got to know her and realized she's not the ice queen people are making her out to be, they warmed up instantly.