7. Truth and Lies

Let's see, editorial office. Where the hell is it? I think to myself as I walk down the hallways of our school. Gray told me to go there at lunch, but I can't even find it. I didn't even know that a room like that existed here.

I pass a couple of students and ask, "Hey, you know where the editorial office is?" 

The shorter girl shakes her head and turns to her friend for help.

"Just turn right at the computer lab then turn left." The girl with curly hair instructs. She gives me a weird look before continuing on their way. 

"Thank you," I flash them a smile and go on my way. 

I pass by the empty computer lab where I take my basic programming class. Was there an office like that around here? I trudge in the corridor looking left and right, searching until I see a room with a sign at the top of the doorway, "Editorial Office." 

I knock twice. I wait for a few seconds, but no one comes out. I knock again, and this time, I speak, "Gray?" Still no sign of anyone. Is she playing a prank on me? I turn the knob and realize the door was unlocked. Hoping I won't get scolded, I step inside. 

The place looks like a real office. Papers are stacked on top of each other. Magazines, books, and other reading materials are scattered around the desks. Two flatscreen computers lined the wall, and another one is at the far end of the room with its rolling chair. A coffee maker is perched on top of a desk, which explains the aroma that filled the air. A rectangular table took up most of the space in the room. 

Sitting at the end of the table is the person I was looking for, in a state I wasn't expecting. I slowly walk towards her, my lips tugging upwards with every step I take. I giggle at the sight of Gray's sleeping face. Her head and her arms were resting on a pillow on top of the table. I do the thing that people usually do when they see someone sleeping. I take a picture of her sleeping face. 

*snap*

The sound of the camera shutter breaks the silence of the room. Crap. I quickly put my phone back in my pocket.

Gray stirs. Her eyelashes flutter as she slowly opens her eyes. She blinks the sleep away from her eyes a few times and stretches her arms upwards while yawning, completely unaware of her surroundings. 

Then she sees me. 

She blinks twice. When she realizes that I'm real and she's not dreaming anymore, her eyes widen. She stands up abruptly and stumbles in her seat. I catch her by the arm before she falls over. "Careful." 

She tugs at her arm and takes a step back. "What are you doing here?" She asks, shooting daggers at me. 

I show her the math notebook I'm holding as a reminder that she was the one who told me to go here. "Oh, right." 

"You look cute when you're sleeping," I tease her and take a seat on the chair adjacent to the one she was occupying a minute earlier. 

"Shut up, Alvarrez." She rolls her eyes as she goes to the coffee maker. "You want some coffee before we start?" 

I shake my head, "I'm not a fan of coffee." I admit. 

Gray looks offended. "How can you not like coffee?" 

Not knowing how to answer her question, I shrug. It's not like I don't drink coffee, I just don't crave for it. 

"Whose office is this?" I find myself asking her while she was pouring herself a cup. 

"The editorial club's." She sits on her chair, coffee in hand. 

I lean in closer, interested. "And you're a part of it? What do you do?"