39. The Grays

I hear the sound of cartoons playing on the TV before even reaching the second floor of Julia's house. Sitting on the couch is a blonde woman who must be in her thirties with a child sleeping beside her. When she sees us approaching, she gives me a gentle smile.

Julia peeks at the child who seems to be asleep. "Oh, he's sleeping," she says in a low voice. "Al, this is my brother Jace's wife, Laura. Laura, Alex."

I smile at her, but before I can get a word out, another voice bellows from behind me. "You're here!"

I tilt my head to see Jimmy peeking from behind the doorway of the pool room. From the side of my view, I see the child stir to the sound of Jimmy's voice. "Shh." Laura stands up and scoops the child in her arms. "I'll leave you guys to it. Careful with the boys." She winks at me before disappearing with her son in the hallway that leads to the rooms.

"Hold on, let me get my mat." Jimmy bolts in the same direction where Laura went.

"Who's here?" Another figure emerges from the doorway and my breath hitches. He's tall—almost a foot taller than Julia. Broad shoulders topped his exposed torso as refined muscles flexed against his tanned skin. His dark, tousled hair is brushed back, highlighting his perfectly chiseled face and revealing gray eyes that held the same hint of steel as Julia's eyes. Simply calling him handsome would be an insult to his beauty.

Contrary to popular belief, lesbians can indeed tell whether a guy is cute or not. We're attracted to girls, not blind. If anything, I think we have a better taste than straight girls. Or higher standards.

Julia's warm hand curls over my arm. "This is my friend, Alex. That's Jimmy's twin, Josh."

A slight upward jerk of his chin is the only acknowledgment he gives me.

Jimmy returns with the same mat we used the first time and lays it on the coffee table in front of the sofa. His long hair is tied up in a man bun that adds to his appeal.

"What, you're playing? Right now?" There was a hint of annoyance in Josh's voice. I notice he's holding a cue stick on one hand. "Who am I supposed to play with?"

"I'll play with you," Julia says, to which he raises an eyebrow, but goes back inside the room, seemingly satisfied. If Julia picked up her iciness from someone, her brother would make a good reference. She turns to me. "Don't lose."

I turn my attention to Jimmy, who has assembled the board and already waiting for me. I sit on the carpet, deeming it more comfortable than the sofa where I have to slouch and lean down on the low coffee table. Jimmy follows suit in front of me.

The reason I'm in the Grays' residence on the long weekend of Thanksgiving is because Julia had sent me a distress call over an hour ago saying Jimmy won't stop pestering her about asking me to come over.

Just as a precaution, I asked her who's home and she informed me her whole family is staying until tomorrow. I was bound to meet them anyway, so I saw no harm in showing up. I threw on a pair of black jeans, a plain white shirt, and a denim jacket to show her father I can dress decently.

Three hours, a couple of dozen wins, and three glasses of water later and Julia materializes at my side. "Any closer to winning?" She asks her brother as she perches on the sofa I'm leaning on. She casually drapes an arm over my shoulders.

If Jimmy noticed how clingy his sister is, he doesn't show any indication. "If I were half as good as her, I might as well make chess a career. Hell, she can beat me in her sleep." He stands up from across me and stretches. "Gimme ten minutes to replenish. My brain's fried." And he leaves us to go downstairs.

"You done playing?" I ask Julia, who is now laying flat on her stomach, a hand under her chin. Her hair is up in a bun, exposing her neck. I lick my lips.