29. Happy Birthday

Gray

I have been pacing in front of their front door for five minutes, not knowing if I should go through with this.

This is all Alex's fault for not telling me until it's only a few days before her birthday. I spent the whole week trying to look for the perfect gift for her, but still no luck. I was on the verge of buying her a Rolex, for fuck's sake. But I figured that was way too much. And I'm not even her girlfriend.

It's a good thing Kristina texted me when she did. She was supposed to be Alex's designated driver tonight since they were going to "make her wish she didn't turn 18." Meaning Alex is going to get hammered. Meaning Kristina won't get to drink because she has to take Alex home.

That's where I come in. I'll be taking her place as the DD so she can drink and Alex can be with me. It's a win-win situation.

I steel my nerves, knock twice, and take a deep breath. The door opens, and Isa comes to view. Her features switch to surprise as soon as she sees me. "Julia?" Suddenly I'm conscious of my outfit. I'm wearing light-colored jeans and a red v-neck spaghetti strap top. I thought this would fit the occasion, but now that I'm standing in front of Isa, I wonder if I'm showing too much skin.

"Hi, Isa," I give her a slight smile. We haven't talked since she found out about my connection to her daughter. I blurted out an excuse and ran away as soon as Alex and Georgia were gone. "I'm here to pick up Alex."

"Oh, come in!" Isa makes space for me to enter their house. "I thought Kris was supposed to be the babysitter for tonight."

Before I could tell her about how Kristina and I switched places, a bark interrupts me. I snap my head in Percy's direction and there he is. My baby, all grown now. He growls and barks until I say his name. "Hi, Percy."

Percy stops barking. He tilts his head to the side as he tries to recognize me. Then he lets out a high-pitched cry. I knew what was coming so I held up the cake I was holding as he rushes to me and pounces—crying and licking and jumping all at the same time. "Aww, baby," I chuckle.

"He missed his momma," Isa says and pries Percy off of me. She eyes the box I was holding. "A gift for Alex, I assume?"

"It's a cake I baked," I hand it to her carefully. "I couldn't think of anything to give."

Isa waves a hand. "Don't worry about it. Alex doesn't care about that kind of stuff," she says. "I'm sure she'll love the cake."

I take a deep breath and gather up my courage. "I still haven't apologized for what happened last time at the cafe. I'm really sorry ab—"

"Oh, shush," Isa cuts me off. "It's fine, Julia. I understand teenage drama. And don't worry, Alex knows nothing about whatever we talked about," Isa gives me a knowing smile. "Now, why don't you go upstairs and get her? She must've fallen asleep while waiting."

I couldn't help the smile that spreads on my face. "You're the best," I give her a hug. "Thanks, Isa."

"I'm rooting for you, honey," she winks and I turn away before she could see the blush creeping in my cheeks.

She's rooting for me? What is that supposed to mean?

I follow her instruction to go up and get Alex. It wasn't hard to find her room, considering there's a big pride flag hanging on her door. I knock twice before turning the knob.

As I let myself in her room, I wasn't expecting to find the place empty. Not wanting to invade her privacy, I was about to leave the room, but something catches my eye.

My jaw drops as I see the shelves full of trophies and medals on the wall. I walk over to it, abandoning my mission to surprise Alex and take a closer look.