5. Closure

It's been three weeks since we went to Tiolo's. Three weeks since I met the sexy brunette named Janelle. Three weeks since I saw Gray cry. I still can't get her crying image out of my head. The other party, however, is indifferent. 

The day following the incident, I tried to talk to Gray. She was back to her old antisocial self. There was no trace left of the fragile girl who cried the night before.

"How are you?" I ask her first thing in the morning. 

"Forget everything that happened last night." She says sharply. 

"Whoa chill." I raise my hands and did a calm down motion. "It's nice to see that you're back to your old grouchy self," I lean on my chair. I mean it. I'd choose a cute grumpy Gray over a sad and crying Gray any day. 

She shoots me a look. "And it's not nice to see that you're back to your old annoying self." 

I turn to her, "Yeah, annoyingly hot and sexy." I say with a smirk. 

"Mind your own business, Alvarrez," she says and diverts her attention back to the notebook she was writing in. I've always wondered what she's writing in it. I never had the chance to ask.

Since then, we've never had a decent conversation. The only time she talks to me is when we're doing an activity. Or when I ask her a question related to academics. Every time I open up the topic about that night, she pretends like she didn't hear me or she'll proceed to do something else. 

I even tried cornering her on lunch because I know she rarely goes to the caf. All I had to do was go back to the classroom earlier than the others so we'd be alone. However, I was surprised when I didn't see her there. The following days were also like that. I don't see her around in the caf so I wondered where she goes during lunch. 

It may sound stupid but I thought I could get close to Gray after what happened. Turns out it was the opposite. She was colder, more distant than when we first talked, never letting her guard down. 

The seatmate in question has been absent for 2 days now. I was debating on whether I should text her or not when someone pats me on the back. "Hey, can we talk later?" I look up to see Diane, holding a water jug in her hand, sweat dripping down her forehead. Her blonde hair is tied up in a tight ponytail. 

Shaken from my thoughts, I answer without thinking. "Yeah, sure." 

She smiles at me before heading back to our teammates. Alyssa glances at me with a curious look on her face. I shrug. 

"Water break's over, let's get back to the game!" Diane's voice echoes in the gym. I stand up lazily from my seat and jog over to them. 

We play a game where Diane and I are on different teams. We always do, because together, we're unstoppable. Our opponents don't stand a chance. On her team is our regulars while I'm assigned to the lower years including the newbies. The game is to assess whether our players have improved and our regulars are still in tune. 

The first half ends and we were down by 14 points. My teammates were exhausted from running back and forth in the court. Diane's team were attacking us relentlessly, not giving us a chance to relax. 

"I forgot to tell you, the loser's team will do twice the regimen next training!" Diane shouts from the opposite side of the court. 

A chorus of groans erupts from my team. This is not good. I don't wanna do twice the regimen, I can even barely keep up with the training. What more if they double it. 

"You guys seriously think we're gonna lose?" I turn to them. It wasn't really a question. "Huddle up." 

We form a circle and I start talking. "Here's the plan."