11. Checkmate

Alvarrez

To say that Gray's house is big is an understatement. The first time I came here, it was already dark, and I wasn't able to make out the details. But now that I'm standing here, in front of what looked like a luxury house, inside a village known for housing some of the greatest businessmen and women, I realize how our financial standings significantly differ.

The house in front of theirs is almost the same size—if not bigger. I notice that the houses here are pretty far from each other, so I find it weird that these two houses are close. Nonetheless, I feel intimidated, like I don't belong here.

I ring the doorbell once. My view may be limited because of the slats in their gate, but my hearing was not. A chorus of high-pitched barks followed as I saw the person I came for come out of their front door.

"Sshh, behave." She tells her dogs before letting me in. I wait for the barking to die down before going in.

Five large dogs greet me with happy faces. "Aww, they're so cute!" I kneel to pet one and look at her collar that read 'Sofie.' The others also huddle around me, their tails wagging enthusiastically. "Are they all yours?" I stand up and look at Gray for the first time. She's wearing a light blue oversized shirt with a puppy print and denim shorts, showing off her white, flawless legs. Her hair is tied up in a very sexy messy bun. God, she's gorgeous.

"Yes. Come inside." She says as she leads me inside their house, but not before I catch a glimpse of her metallic gray Audi sitting regally in their garage that could comfortably house three cars.

The first thing that catches my eye is the large painting in the middle of the room. It was of a beautiful woman with long raven black hair. She was the spitting image of Gray.

"Is she your mom?"

Gray takes a deep breath before answering, "Yes." She walks away before I could ask another.

"Take a seat," she gestures to the comfortable looking sofa that sits in the middle of their living room. The colors gray and white dominated the area; the interior design is remarkable. "My brother will be here in a few minutes. I apologize for making you wait."

"I don't mind," I answer, observing my surroundings. Aside from the painting of the woman, no other pictures hang in the walls. On the coffee table in front of me were a few magazines, a bonsai, and a remote for the 60-inch tv that was mounted up in the wall.

In one word, Gray's house is very.. spacious. Not too many furnitures, although if there is any, they sure as hell looked expensive. But aside from the necessities, there isn't much to take note of. I didn't understand the reason until her dogs came around and filled the area. Now the living room doesn't seem as empty. Their presence put a slight smile on Gray's face.

"Aren't you gonna introduce me to them?" I grin at her.

I expected a rebut from her, but instead, she told me their names, one by one. Sofie the Labrador, Sammy the Pitbull, Perry the Rottweiler, Toffee the Golden Retriever, and Maxie the Brown Lab. For each dog she introduced, the smile on her face grew more prominent.

Another discovery: Gray is very fond of dogs.

"There's another one. Her name's Macy. She recently gave birth to four pups. Perry's the father."

Excitedly, I ask, "Can I see them?"

Gray stands up without a word, and I follow her to their backyard. And, of course, they had a swimming pool. Curious about where their wealth comes from, I ask, "What does your dad do?"