25. Baby

Gray

I'm still slightly pissed at Alvarrez for making out with Georgia on the balcony, but being this close to her, our bodies swaying to the rhythm of the music is just too good of a moment to be ruined by my ex-girlfriend's cousin. And as much as I hate to admit it, I can't stay mad at Alvarrez for too long.

I inhale Alvarrez's boyish scent, my lips twitching at the familiarity of it. Suddenly, I get the urge to bury my head in her chest—not that I can actually do it in front of all these people. Especially Jan.

Once the dance was over, Alvarrez's rough, calloused hands take mine and plants a light kiss on it. For a brief moment, her sea-green eyes lock with mine. Handsome. So handsome.

Alvarrez leads me back to our table. "Thank you for the dance, Julia." She grins.

I smile.

"Wow," Geneva muses, looking at Alvarrez. Her braided hair has become slightly messy. "You actually made Alex dance. In all the years I've known her, it's the first time I've seen her dance with someone aside from her family."

Alvarrez looks at me. I can almost see her eyebrows arching behind her black mask. "Really?"

I don't want to have to deal with any of this right now. "Don't flatter yourself. I just felt like dancing."

I scan the area for Jan, but there was no sign of her anywhere. I stand up from my seat and make my way to the restroom. Jan is sensitive when it comes to me being too close to someone aside from her. I need to make sure she's not that mad at me for dancing with Alvarrez.

As I was nearing the restroom, Jan intercepts me. Her mood has somehow changed from annoyed to unusually pleased. Before I could ask her any questions, she cuts me off by placing a finger over my lips. "Come with me." She orders as she takes my hand and leads me outside the hall.

"Where are we going?" I ask her as we stand in front of the elevator doors, waiting for them to open.

Jan smiles. "I prepared a little something for you."

The elevator dings and we enter. Jan removes my mask and pulls out a white cloth from her pocket. I can't help but smile. "A blindfold? Really, Jan? Since when were you such a romantic?"

"Shh, I'm trying something new." I laugh and let her put the cloth over my eyes.

I hear the elevator ding again. Jan takes my hand and guides me to our destination. Excitement fuels my veins. I lick my lips in anticipation of what the girl walking beside me has done this time.

"We're here." She whispers before taking the blindfold off.

My breath hitches at the sight before me. I cover my mouth with both my hands. We're on the rooftop of the building. Red flower petals are scattered everywhere. A red carpet is laid on the center of the floor, leading to a set of red candles placed expertly on the floor. They seem to form letters, but I'm too far away to be sure. "Come."

As we near the end of the carpet and the candles on the floor, I feel my heartbeat pick up its pace. Not because of excitement, but because of anxiety. I get the feeling that whatever is at the end of this walk is something I'm haven't prepared myself for.

We stop. I look down and read the letters formed by the candles. "Come back to me," Jan says, reading the words formed by the candles aloud. Her mask is gone, showing me her perfect, beautiful face. "I know I've been gone for a while, but I promise you, I'm still the same person you fell in love with. In all those years, my feelings for you never wavered, never changed. Please, Alex, give me another chance." She cups my face and stares directly into my eyes. Her green eyes were full of hope, sorrow, and longing.