42. Hot Tub

Alvarrez

I've convinced myself that it's because of the Christmas season.

I mean, people do get kinder when it's the holidays, right? Because how else am I gonna explain the fact that I'm sitting on the soft rug of Julia's living room, playing Monopoly with her brothers, and Janelle hasn't made any snarky comments toward me all day?

She's not exactly friendly, but the hostility that she seems to harbor towards me from the very start was gone. I've been spending a lot of time on the Grays' residence since the break. I also didn't fail to notice the change in the way Julia interacted with her. She was calmer, and she didn't snap at Janelle the way she used to. I'm glad that she's finally letting go of her anger towards her childhood best friend. I just don't know how that will affect our relationship.

I roll the dice, moving the shoe according to the numbers rolled and landing on Mayfair—which had a small plastic piece that represented a hotel. "Fuck." Then, remembering that I'm in the company of my girlfriend's family with the exception of her father, I mutter, "Sorry."

"Well, I understand the sentiment. You just got bankrupt." Jimmy laughs.

"I could still mortgage my properties," I argue, even knowing that they're probably not enough. "Or uh, can't I get a loan or something? Can't you just let me stay for free? I'll give you a rook handicap on our next game." I smile hopefully.

He chuckles. "I'd certainly take that offer even if the chances of beating you is slim to none even with that handicap, but I'm not the property owner."

"Who?" I ask and scan the faces around the Monopoly board until my gaze lands on Janelle. If the smug smile on her face doesn't answer my question, the Mayfair's property card she's holding between her fingers certainly does. "Oh."

"So," she prolongs the word with satisfaction clearly written across her pretty face. "What do you have to offer me?"

Being the center of attention of the group was intimidating, but I don't let it show. I grin at Janelle. "You want a rook handicap, too?"

Janelle looks like she wants to roll her eyes. "No. Just go throw yourself in the pool."

With an exaggerated sigh, I pull myself to my feet. To add a challenge to the game, we all agreed that the first person to get bankrupt would dive into the pool that would be freezing this time of year. I shudder just thinking about it.

Once in their backyard, I slip off my shoes and empty my pockets that contain my phone, keys, wallet, and handkerchief before stepping on the edge of the pool. I would've taken my jeans off, but I didn't wear boxers today and I don't even want to imagine myself in my underwear in front of Julia's family.

Without any preemptive, I run along the edges and launch myself in the air, cannonballing into the pool. The cold rattles me and seeps through my bones. When I come up for air, the first thing out of my mouth is, "Fuck, that's cold!" I rub my face to clear the water and push away the strands of hair that stuck to my face.

They were all laughing as I glide across the pool to the edge. I push myself up, the clothes I'm wearing clinging uncomfortably to my skin.

"Now I feel bad," Laura says, still chuckling. "We should've turned on the heater."

"The pool has a heater?!" I turn to them, feeling betrayed.

"Where's the fun in that?" Josh smirks. 

"Sorry." Julia tries to keep her face neutral, but her gray eyes were dancing with mirth. "Josh had the heater installed so he can train all year long." 

I close the distance between us in two strides, slip my arms around her shoulders and press the entire length of my body against hers.

Julia's gasp was so sensual it shoots a bolt of heat straight to my core. "Al!" I'm sure she meant for it to be a protest, but it comes as a plea to my ears. The more she struggles, the more I rub my body against hers and by the time she frees herself, I've managed to wet her clothes successfully.