10. Double Espresso

Three days have passed since Alvarrez told me to talk to Thea alone. I, of course, did nothing of the sort. Not a word that comes out of her mouth should be trusted.

Every day she would ask me with a grin on her face, "Have you asked her already?"

And every day, I would answer plainly, "No."

Things are getting busier at the office with each passing day, and the deadline for our first issue is fast approaching. My editors are doing an excellent job in doing their tasks, working efficiently—all except for one.

Thea sneaks a glance at me—for the eighth time today—while I was checking on Leandro's work. She's been acting weird since Monday when Alvarrez burst in here. Could it be that she heard what we were talking about? No, I asked Max if what we were talking about outside was audible from the inside. She clearly said no, and no one left their seat; they patiently waited for me to come back inside.

I clear my throat. Thea quickly returns her gaze to the computer screen where her half-finished article is waiting to be completed. I walk over to her side. "Everything okay?" I lean over her shoulder and check the monitor. I frown. "You haven't added a single word ever since I checked on you 30 minutes ago. What's wrong?"

"Uh, can I talk to you later? Alone? There's something I need to tell you." She nervously fiddles with her fingers.

I raise an eyebrow at her. "What about?"

She gives me a forced smile. "Later."

Max elbows me once I was away from Thea's earshot. "Is she okay?"

"I think so. She said there's something she needs to tell me."

"Huh. Weird."

I wait until Leandro and Max have gone home. Gwen and Thea always go home together, but today is a rare occurrence.

"Sorry Gwen, I still have to finish this. You can go home first." Thea replies to Gwen when she asks her to leave.

Gwen sits back in her chair. "Okay then, I'll wait for you."

"It's all right, I also have to talk about some things with Thea," I tell Gwen.

Gwen gives her a sideways glance, asking for validation. Thea gives her a nod of confirmation, and Gwen leaves the room, leaving us alone. 

Thea shuts off the computer before sitting down next to me. "I thought you weren't finished yet?" I ask.

She smiles at me, that innocent warm smile like Max's. "I lied."

"Oh, okay. You've been a little restless lately, are you okay?" I ask her.

She shifts in her seat. "Yes."

"So what did you want to tell me?" I study her.

"I'm so sorry for lying."

I stare at her in confusion. "About what?"

Thea's gaze fixes on the empty coffee mug on the table. "About Alex kissing me."

"I'm not sure I follow," I gently put down the stack of papers I was holding to focus on her.

She meets my gaze, her brown eyes reflecting my confusion. "You mean she didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?" I ask impatiently. Why is it that people don't just speak straight to the point?

"I-I thought she told you what really happened, you being close friends and all."

"Alvarrez and I are not in the least bit friends," I tell her firmly so that it will be burned in her brain.