3. Mixed Signals

It's not easy to avoid your ex when she's your schoolmate and team captain. Well, I'm not really avoiding her. But she's everywhere I look. 

I'm getting things from my locker when I smell a faint scent of strawberries. Another second later and a tall figure looms over me. "Thank you for bringing me home the other night." She tucks a stray hair behind her ear as she says the words. She's wearing light skinny jeans and a pink sweater. 

"Sure, it's not a big deal. Just be careful next time. Not everyone has good intentions." I close my locker and start walking. She falls in stride next to me. People were glancing in our direction. I ignore them the same way I ignore the way our hands lightly graze with every step. 

We continue walking until we pass by my classroom. Diane stops and turns to me, asking, "Isn't that your room?" 

"Yep, but I'll walk you first," I say and smile at her. 

A hint of a smile plays on her lips. "You never change, do you?" 

I shrug and give her a smirk. By the time I get to my room, the second bell is already ringing. The moment I take a seat, the sweet scent of green apple fills my senses. "Morning, Gray." I beam a smile at my seatmate as I had done for the past week. And, as she had also done for the past week, she ignores me. 

Her eyes were focused on the pocketbook that she's reading. This is our morning routine. The only thing that varies is what she's doing while ignoring me. Sometimes she's writing, but most of the time she's reading. And I've never seen her read our textbooks, which is surprising considering she's the top of our class. One would expect her to study in her free time. 

Mr. Castor enters the room carrying a bunch of papers. He clears his throat and announces, "I'll be giving you your first activity today. I want you to go to a cafe or a restaurant with your partner. Then write a review about the place. The food, ambiance, everything." He beams at us. "One review per pair, and it will be graded. Questions?" The room is silent. "None? Good. Deadline is on Friday. Have fun, kids." He waves us goodbye before anyone has even had a chance to react. 

There's no arguing with him. He always comes up with crazy ideas. Better to just follow them. I realize I have to go with my partner. I turn to her, smiling. She doesn't look pleased. "So," I start. "May I take you out on a date?" I ask with a smirk. 

"No." She answers without batting an eyelash. 

I flinch. "Ouch. Now I'm on the list of people who got rejected by Alexis Gray." I put a hand over my heart to add to the dramatic effect. She stares at me, her gray eyes doing nothing to portray her emotions. 

"It's an activity. Not a date." She emphasizes. 

I lean back in my chair and ignore her remark. "When are you free?" 

"Tomorrow after school." 

"Ayt, I'll pick you up at 7." 

"No, thanks. I'll go there by myself." She responds in a clipped tone. 

"Go where, exactly?" I smirk. She pauses and raises an eyebrow at me. "I know a good place, okay? Leave this to me." I assure her. 

"Then why don't you do the report alone? You already know the place." She scoffs. 

"I can't. We have to go together. I need your opinion." She was about to argue more, but I cut her off. "And honestly, I'm no good at those things. I suck. So unless you want a D on your first activity, you have to come with me." 

She seemed reluctant at first, but I eventually got her to agree. I take my phone from my pocket and hand it to her. "Your number, please." She rolls her eyes before punching in her number. I call her and drop the call on the first ring so she could have mine as well.