37. Interference

Alvarrez

I was walking across the parking lot when a familiar Black Lambo almost hit me. "Yo, what the fuck!" I shout at the car even though the driver probably can't hear me.

The car comes to a screech, stopping a few meters away. "You were in the way," Janelle says casually as she exits the vehicle.

"Go to hell, Jan." Julia emerges from the other side and slams the door so hard Janelle flinches. She struts toward me, her expression somewhere between annoyance and concern. "Are you okay?"

"Yep." I wrap an arm around her waist and kiss the top of her head as I have done since we became official. "Tell your driver to drive safely next time," I say loud enough for her ex to hear.

Julia snickers before taking my hand and intertwining our fingers as we make our way to the school's entrance.

If Julia didn't send me a text telling me her car won't start and Janelle was driving her to school, I wouldn't have time to compose my thoughts and brace myself for whatever shit Janelle planned to pull off. Julia told me Janelle was somehow out at that exact moment just in time to hear the damsel in distress and was coincidentally going in the school's direction.

"So it's true." Jan's voice makes me stop and turn around to see her with one arm on top of her car, her expression hard to decipher over her sunglasses. "I can't believe you'll settle for something like this." She shakes her head. "Enjoy it while it lasts." She slides inside her car gracefully and shuts the door before Julia can get a word out.

"Ugh. She's everywhere I go."

We continue walking. "I've noticed. Wanna tell me what's going on?"

"Later."

The later time turned out to be during lunch, while we were alone inside their office. Not surprising considering it's the only place where we can talk without people around—unless her clubmates come in.

"My dad doesn't think you're a good company." Julia finally drops the bomb.

I swallow a mouthful of the carbonara pasta she made for me. "Yeah, I kinda figured from the way he was eyeing me like a stray dog. Your dad, Christian Gray, that is. I really could've used a heads up, you know. I was so proud of myself for not rolling over laughing." I know it's rude to laugh at other people's names but it was just too damn good. The only thing that held me from laughing out loud was the fact that he's my girlfriend's dad, and I don't want him to hate me.

Julia bites her lower lip trying the hide her grin. "I didn't expect you'd meet him. And I was really proud of you too. I've seen you laugh over seeing someone bump their head while entering a car. Must've taken a lot of self-control." She pats my head. "So, how about I treat you to dinner after your training? And I promise no chopsticks."

A grin forms on my lips. "It's a date."

"Good." She turns on her chair so she's facing me, her expression turning serious. "I'm really sorry about the way he acted, Al. He tends to get overprotective when it comes to me. And it's not helping that Jan's making you out to be a bad influence on me."

I snort. "Sounds like something she'd do."

"Everyone's being such a bitch to you. I hate it."

"Don't stress over it. I don't really care. Wait—actually, I do. I want your family to like me." Which brings me to ask, "Do they know you're gay?"

Julia returns her attention back to the LocknLock that holds her food. "I suspect Jimmy's got a clue, but we never talked about it. As for the rest, I have no idea. The only real problem is my dad."