38. Dreams

I take a deep, calming breath for what felt like the hundredth time today, and the thousandth time for the last couple of weeks. Between being swamped with school works, not spending enough time with Julia, and dealing with Janelle, I've just about had it.

Which is why when I spot Julia walking through the corridor on her way to her next class, I immediately grab her to the side. I note that she looks cute in a gray, sleeveless turtleneck before asking, "Do you have anything important to do for the rest of the day?"

Julia raises an eyebrow curiously before answering, "Not that I'm aware of."

"Any exams?"

"None."

I nod. "Good. Let's get out of here." I take her hand and start making our way out of the school.

"Ooh, we're finally cutting classes? I was waiting for this." The excitement in Julia's voice makes me smile.

I chuckle and tug her closer towards me. "You little rebel."

Once on the highway, I ask her, "So, where do you want to go?"

Julia turns her head slightly. "Anywhere with you."

I almost ran a red light.

She laughs heartily. "I just made Alex Alvarrez blush."

"Stop it." I try to recompose myself. I'm used to being the one who makes other people blush, not the other way around. "Lunch first? Did you make something?"

"Ribs and shrimp."

I beam at her. She never gave me back my hoodie—not surprising considering every piece of clothing I lent her never made it back to me—but she brings lunch from time to time to make up for it. And honestly, I'm willing to buy a couple more hoodies to let her borrow just so she'd cook for me every day.

We both agreed to go out of town to lessen the chances of crossing paths with anyone who knows us. I'm trying to get on her father's good side, and I doubt seeing us strolling around after cutting classes will help with my agenda.

Now, the only problem left is where to go. I mentally sort through a list of places where we can stop by and eat, and smile when the perfect place comes to mind. "Let's stop by the mall first. I need to buy something."

The plan was to stop by, buy a blanket, and leave. How we ended up with a bunch of junk food, a ringer dress for Julia, a sweatshirt for me, five new handkerchiefs, chew toys for Percy, and a travel pillow, I blame Julia. One pleading look from those puppy eyes and I watched the word 'no' fly out of my vocabulary.

On our way back to the car, she asks, "Wait. What were you going to buy?"

I stop dead in my tracks. "Shit."

She laughs, pointing at the bags on my other hand that's not intertwined with hers. "Distracted, are we?"

"It's your fault." I chuckle, steering her towards the department store.

Being stared at is nothing new to me. But staring is one thing; hitting on my girl is another, especially when I'm next to her, holding her hand, and very obviously in a relationship with her. It's either you're stupid, arrogant, or just plain disrespectful. So when two boys about our age come up to us with a flirty grin as we head back to the car—for real this time—I get a little pissed.

"Hey, we think you guys are cute. Wanna come hang with us?" One of them asks, his eyes darting from me to Julia. He's tall, square-jawed, and has dark brown hair. Average at best.

I raise my hand, taking Julia's by extension, and say, "You see this?"

His friend cocks an eyebrow and tells the boy talking to us, "Yo, I told you they were together." He looks at me. "We're sorry."