13. Georgia

Alvarrez

"Where in the world did you get that?" My mom was practically shouting at me when she saw Percy in my arms. I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was more shocked than angry - which is a good sign.

It didn't occur to me that my mom might go against keeping a dog until I was in front of our house. I decided to leave it to Percy's cute brown eyebrows and puppy eyes to convince her just in case she doesn't approve of keeping him.

Sophia was watching TV in the living room while James was playing, and when they saw the furry creature in my arms, both of them squealed in delight.

They crowded in front of me and bombarded me with questions.

"He's so cute!"

"What's his name?"

"Are we going to keep him?"

"Where did you get him?"

Percy was getting restless in my arms so I told them off, "Whoa, easy. You're scaring him." I took a seat on the couch to give him space. "His name is Percy, and yes, he'll be staying with us from now on."

My little Labrador-Rottweiler looked at me with those brown eyes and the resemblance hit me - his eyes were like Diane's. The same shade. He started chewing on my fingers. I carried him and let him face me, "You must be hungry."

I put him down and let him roam around the house. Good thing Gray let me take his food bowl and threw in 2 kilos of dog food with it.

Gray really cares about her dogs. Before I left her house, she told me what I needed to do, what not to feed him, how many times he should take a bath in a month and other stuff I can't remember. She even told me she'd come to visit him sometime and I couldn't wait for it.

While I was preparing Percy's food, a voice spoke behind me, "I didn't know we had a dog."

I chuckled and faced my dad. "Now you do."

He kissed the top of my head. "Having a dog is like raising a baby, Al." He gave me a worried look. "Are you sure you can handle it?"

"Of course I can," I answered without a second thought.

"Okay, then. I'll talk to your mom about it." He smiled at me before disappearing from view.

The house was buzzing because of the arrival of our new family member. My siblings were totally in love with Percy. They fed him and played with him - James even gave up one of his stuffed toys for him.

Mom agreed to let him sleep in my room - not that she had another choice. I was staring at Percy when I remembered what my dad told me about raising a dog. If Percy was like my baby, then does that make Gray his mom too? Nah, I'll be raising him alone, which means I'll be a single mom.

Before drifting off to sleep, the memory of Gray smiling and the sound of her laugh haunted me. And those dimples. She's too damn perfect she should be illegal. It made me wonder about the reason why she and her ex broke up. What could have happened between the two of them? What kind of an idiot would let go of the goddess that is Alexis Gray?

The following morning, a nasty smell woke me from my sleep. I opened an eye and took a peek at the wall clock. It read 9:15 am. It's still too early. Today's a Sunday, and on weekends, I usually sleep through half of the day. I tried to go back to sleep, but the smell was assaulting my nose.

Against my will, I went out of bed and the moment my foot hit the floor, I felt something wet. My eyes found Percy, happily wagging his tail beside the spot where he pooped. I looked at my feet again, realizing what I had stepped on. It was only then that I truly understood the weight of what I had signed up for.