35. Homework

Gray

"Wanna know something?" Kristina whispers next to me. "If Lexi here didn't have a stupid crush on Diane back then, chances are we'd be one of the strongest volleyball teams around here."

"Shut up, Kris." Alex murmurs, wiping her sweat with a face towel.

Casey, one of Kristina's teammates, speaks, "Yeah. It's actually kinda funny because you can almost see the regret in Coach's face whenever you train with us."

"I'm perfectly happy with my team, thank you." Alex stands up and stretches her arms. "Besides, you guys are plenty strong."

Dating an athlete comes with its own responsibilities. The first one is to make sure you're present in each and every one of her games. When she had asked me if I wanted to watch a volleyball game she had with Kristina, I knew the only acceptable answer was yes.

I was aware that she sometimes trains and helps out during the women's volleyball team's training—I see her on my way out—but I wasn't aware that she actually plays outside the school.

They're playing against another school's volleyball team. Judging by the way everyone seems to be familiar with each other, I'm guessing they do this often.

A tall girl enters the court. All eyes turn to her. "Oh shit," Kristina snickers when the girl walks towards where we're seated. As the girl draws near, her towering height becomes more pronounced. She must be more than six feet tall.

The girl stops in front of Alex and pokes her in the stomach. "I'm going to get that kiss today."

Excuse me?

Alex shoots me a panicked look. "Ah, I—"

The girl walks away and heads to the opposing team on the other side of the court before she can even finish what she was saying. "Good luck."

Kristina laughs. "Someone's in trouble."

"Why didn't you tell me she's going to be here?"

"I also didn't know."

I raise an eyebrow at Alex who rubs the back of her neck before explaining. "We have this little bet where if I lose against her team, I owe her a kiss."

"Oh."

"Please don't get mad."

"I'm not."

Alex raises her eyebrows. "Really?"

I nod. "Not yet, at least. Ask me again after you lose."

The worry in her eyes is quickly replaced with amusement. "You think I'm gonna lose?"

Confidence really is attractive. "Maybe."

"Okay, if we win, you owe me a kiss. Deal?"

"Sure."

At that, Alex beams. She stretches exaggeratedly and cracks her neck.

I purse my lips trying to hold back a smile. Surely she realizes that I'm her girlfriend and she doesn't need to win to get a kiss, right?

Once the game starts, Alex puts her game face on. By game face, I mean a carefree smile plastered on her face like she couldn't care less what happens to the match. The only time I ever saw her serious while playing was when she played chess with my brother the first time.

Compared to other sports, I have at least more knowledge of volleyball. Aside from the fact that the rules are easier to understand, it doesn't involve much contact, and it's not hard to follow what's going on in the court.