16. High Maintenance

Today's the day that Gray and I are supposed to go to the ice skating rink. The plan was that I was supposed to fetch her from the editorial office after my training since she also had a meeting to attend. I didn't notice her going into the gym so I was surprised when I saw her in the bleachers.

When Coach gave us a water break, I quickly ran to where Gray was. "What are you doing here? I thought you had a meeting?

"It finished early," she answered. "I'll wait for you here."

I grinned at her. "We should be done in—" I glanced at the clock in the gym. "—about fifteen minutes."

"Sure."

My teammates were giving me curious glances when I went back and Diane—well, let's just say she wasn't happy about it.

"Damn, Alex. I knew you had it in you but, Alexis Gray, really?" Alyssa elbowed me in the gut.

I rubbed the part where she elbowed me. "Shut up. We're just going to do a project."

Coach let us play a scrimmage and knowing that Gray is watching, I felt nervous. As usual, Diane and I were on opposite teams. It may just be my imagination but Diane was playing more aggressively than usual. Her defense is tight and on top of that, she's marking me.

"Sorry babe, this game is mine," Diane announced confidently before stealing the ball from me and scoring.

It was a total defeat for my team with a final score of 30–⁠46. Diane rarely gets serious on scrimmages but whenever she is, I always lose. She has a tight defense and strong offense worthy of the title MVP.

Training took longer than usual today, and the men's basketball team was already there when I finished taking a shower. They were looking at Gray who's sitting in the bleachers while whispering amongst themselves. I scanned their faces but Kian's not here yet.

"Sorry, that took longer than expected," I said as I put down my gym bag and sat next to her.

"It's fine. I canceled the appointment," she said nonchalantly.

"What?"

"You should've told me your training was intense, you idiot," she emphasized the word 'idiot'. "You need to rest."

I groaned. "I told you, I'm fine. It's bad manners to cancel an appointment."

"I know the person in charge so it's no big deal." She stood up and grabbed her bag. "Let's go, I'll drive you home."

I didn't bring my car today because we decided it would be better to use just one car instead of two on the way to the rink. Kris picked me up this morning and Gray was supposed to drop me off at home after the interview.

People were staring at us as we walked out of the gym. Just before we reached the entrance, we ran into David with some of the soccer players. The moment he saw us, his face turned sour. As we passed by each other, he intentionally bumped my shoulder. "Watch it, dyke."

If this was some other day when I wasn't tired, I might've let it slip. But no, I'm feeling particularly pissed today, so I snapped back. "Did getting dumped by Diane hurt your ego that much, boy?"

He stopped in his tracks and turned around. "The fuck did you say?" His hands formed into fists on his side.

"Oh, sorry. Did you tell your friends a different story?" I looked over at his teammates. "Was I supposed to keep it a secret?"

He was about to lunge at me but one of his friends grabbed him by the arm. "Hey man, let it go."

Gray appeared beside me and stared at David with a look of pity. "Let's go," she said in a low voice and gently pulled on my shirt.