9. Alexis

I dial the phone number of Jimmy as soon as class was dismissed. When he didn't pick up after 2 calls, I decide to try again later. Maybe he's busy.

I make my way to the editorial office and the smell of brewed coffee wafts as I open the door.

Three cheerful faces greet me when I enter.

"Hey guys," I smile slightly at them.

Being with people from the editorial club for 3 years, their contagious smiles have rubbed off on me. They get back to what they were doing after they acknowledge my presence.

One of the reasons I joined this club is that I absolutely love writing, and being with people who share the same passion is overwhelming.

As I make my way to my desk, I catch a glimpse of the features and opinion editor, Leandro, watching anime on one of the computers.

"Leandro," I call out to him. He tears his gaze off the computer screen after pausing the anime and looks up at the sound of my voice. "How many times have I told you that the computers are for academic-related matters only?"

"Come on, chief, I already finished my task for the day," he tries to reason with pleading eyes. "Let me just finish this episode."

I shoot him a warning look. "No," I say firmly, making him flinch. "Shut that thing off and go home if you're already done."

While most people would already be sweating and nervous because of the tone of my voice, Leandro only smiles unapologetically at me, "Yes ma'am."

This is the downside of being amiable to my editors—they hardly take me seriously anymore. They still follow my orders but they aren't scared of me anymore. I'm still contemplating whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

A small figure appears in front of me with a warm smile on her face. "As strict as ever." Maxine, the managing editor and the closest thing I can call a friend in this school, speaks.

With her 5'0 flat height, most people usually mistake her for a middle schooler. She looks like it too, with an innocent expression and a cheerful smile always on her lips.

"I don't condone breaking the rules," I say sharply and continue to my desk.

The small workspace situated in the corner of the room is where I do most of my work. The edge of the monitor perched on top of it is covered with sticky notes. A coffee mug which says 'get shit done' that I made into a pen holder is sitting beside the stack of paper that I need to go through.

After putting my things under the table, I examine the papers stacked on top of it. Before I could even start reading an article, my phone vibrates. It's Jimmy.

"Hey, princess. Sorry I missed your call. Did you miss me?" My brother's cheery voice greets from the other end of the line.

"Come home this weekend, I'm going to do a documentary about chess," I order him, sitting down on my rolling chair.

"Why me? I'm busyyy," he groans.

"Why not? You're a master of some sort, right? It will be a good material for us."

"It's FIDE Master, princess, don't forget that." He pauses. "Say you miss me first."

I roll my eyes knowing he can't see me. "You suck."

"I'm hanging up."

I chuckle. "I'm kidding, I miss youuu. Come home, pleaseeee," I use the most childish voice I can muster without my clubmates hearing it. I have a reputation to uphold.