40. Seventeenth

Gray

I enter the classroom and my eyes automatically lock onto the figure sitting on the desk of her chair. Today, she's wearing a navy blue sweater over a collared shirt and light-colored tapered shorts. Yum. Alex's thigh is spread over the desk while her other leg is flat on the ground for support.

Her back pocket bulges from where her wallet is tucked inside it. One of the advantages of wearing men's clothes—deep pockets. And though Alex has that advantage, she also has the disadvantage of being too immersed in what she's doing that she loses awareness of her immediate surroundings. Which is why when Jan handed—or threw, rather—her wallet back to her, it didn't surprise me one bit. No, Jan didn't do anything to it. I made Alex check it just before she went home that night. I'd like to think I know Jan well enough to know she won't do something like tamper with someone else's belongings, but it didn't hurt to check.

"Bullshit," I hear Kristina say as I get near her and Alex. "Judging from the way you're eye-fucking her ninety-nine percent of the time, I'd say you've had sex at least fourteen times. Sorry, I don't make the rules." She shrugs.

Ah. Nothing beats talking about our non-existent sex life at 8 in the morning.

I drop my bag on my chair before slipping a hand on Alex's waist. "It's actually fifteen."

Alex's eyes widen. "Baby!" She was about to say something else, but as she looks at me, her mouth remains open as her eyes travel the length of my body appreciatively. She visibly swallows. "Damn."

"Aaaand that's sixteen," Kris mutters.

I'm wearing a loose white blouse with a low neckline and a black tube inside, the front of the blouse tucked in denim jeans. Alex lightly touches the waterfall braid I did on my hair. "I like this." She kisses the top of my head, careful not to ruin the braid.

"You guys are so cute please stay away from me and my single ass."

"You're sitting on my chair." Alex drapes an arm over my shoulder.

Kristina rolls her eyes but doesn't stand up. "You guys done with that documentary on English?"

"Finished it like a month ago." Alex gives Kristina a smug smile.

"Great. You can help with ours, then." Kristina begins to stand up without warning Alex, but the chair remains firm on the ground thanks to the support of Alex's long legs. "And we need to start working on that damn poster for arts."

Alex stands up as well. "What poster?"

Kristina blows out a breath. "I swear you have the memory of a fucking goldfish." She runs a hand down her face and turns to me. "If she forgets your anniversary, come to me and I'll help you flog her."

"I do not!" Alex protests then turns to me. "I won't."

"Well, scroll through your messages and confirm for me. I sent all the details to you. You even replied."

Alex brings out her phone and scrolls through her messages until I hear her say, "Fuck."

I peek on her phone and see Kristina's message about an activity on one of their classes together that she missed when we went for a stroll out of town. The deadline is on Friday.

"Oh. It can wait," Alex says. "We still have four days."

And Alex, being Alex, spent three out of those four days messing around and procrastinating so by the time Thursday rolled around, they have accomplished nothing, resulting in Alex staying over at Kristina's to do whatever they can to remedy the situation.