15. Insubstantial

The venue for the team building is different every year. Last year, we stayed in a camping site. The year before that and on our first year on the team was in a resort. This year, we will be staying in a lodge beside the sea.

We left the school after our classes ended and rode the school bus to our destination. It was already dark when we arrived, but that did not stop the girls from roaming around the area. Diane and I stayed with coach Martin to check the lodging.

After placing the bags on one corner, Coach Martin spoke. "I heard you guys broke up."

Diane and I shared a panicked look. Dating among teammates is strictly forbidden in sports. We both knew the consequences we had to face if Coach found out and did it anyway. Up until now, Coach didn't show any signs of having found out about our relationship even though all of us knew that he's aware. It wasn't easy to miss a gossip about two girls from the basketball team dating, even more so if Diane, the hottest female jock in school, is involved.

When no one spoke, Coach turned to us. "Don't look so surprised. You know I know what's going on with you two."

Still, we both didn't dare say a word. "I'm not going to kick you out of the team or anything," Coach assured and I slightly relax. "I just want to know if it's true because seeing you two together, I don't think anything has changed."

"It's true," Diane admitted.

Coach's lips pressed into a thin line. "I see. That's too bad."

"What do you mean?" This time, I'm the one who spoke.

"I always thought you two would end up together," he says. "I'm not blind, I see how you two look at each other during training. I left it alone because your relationship was healthy, it never negatively affected our team, even now. And I'm proud of you both."

I don't know what to say. Coach is strict during training, but sometimes he'd treat the team out to a meal after. He messages us after training asking if we were already home. He cares. Words aren't enough to let him know how much he influenced me, so I gave him a big hug. Diane did the same, and that's when our teammates came inside.

"Hey, group hug!" Someone shouted and they all joined the hug one by one.

The lodge has two medium sized bedrooms. Coach Martin volunteered to stay on the sofa in the living room saying he doesn't want to wake up in the middle of the night because of girl gossip. He allowed us to pick the room we wanted to stay in. There are 12 of us in the team, resulting in 6 persons in each room. Alyssa, Mika, and I are in the same room as the freshmen.

The next morning was spent making ourselves feel comfortable at the place. Alyssa and I went to the beach and looked at the neighboring houses. Most of them are empty save for the ones that are also being rented.

We walked along the shore as the waves brought the cold water to reach our ankles. Our footprints washed away as fast as they were created. Alyssa struck up a conversation. "I can't believe this is the last time I get to do this with you guys."

"Yeah. Me too. What are your plans after we graduate?" I find myself asking her.

"Go to college. Get an athletic scholarship. Graduate again. Find a job," she laughs. "Mundane stuff. How about you? Will you keep on playing?"

"I don't know. I don't think I can balance my studies and still keep on playing," I tell her honestly. "But we'll see."

"Shame. You're a good playmaker."

We talk some more about things we plan to do after graduation until we found our way back to the lodge. By the time we arrived, the team was getting split into two groups for the activities coach prepared for us. I picked the side where Diane isn't, as usual, because we like competing with each other. I like seeing the annoyed look on her face when I beat the shit out of her.