21. Games

I kissed Alvarrez.

This should be the part where I tell you I regret everything, and that it was just the alcohol making me do things I don't want to—but no. I don't regret anything. I was aware of everything I said and did, and I definitely don't regret kissing her.

If anything, I feel relieved. For being able to talk to Alvarrez, even in her drunken state. Will she even remember what happened? Although the tequila she drank that night has a tendency to make people forget important things, I hoped she doesn't.

The following week went by fast. While our varsity players are out competing with other schools, it's our job to cover every event they join. Being the editor-in-chief of the school paper, it's my duty to overlook and cover the extracurricular activities of our school.

Our school is hosting this year's volleyball events, making it easy for Thea to cover their games. However, other sports are scattered across different schools. All my editors are tasked with documenting them while my job is to collate everything. From time to time, I go over and check and help them.

I barely saw Alvarrez. The only time I ever see her is when the women's volleyball team has a game and when I come over to watch their game to check on the status. Whenever she watches Kristina's games, I always see her in the player's bench, chatting with the coach. How she is allowed in there, I had no idea. Alvarrez has her way of getting involved in the things she wants to take part in.

Today is the last day of the games—their championship match. The only sports who made it to the finals are the soccer team and women and men's basketball team. I watch the girls as they were warming up. Alvarrez is right in front of me, wearing her blue and gold jersey with the number 23 on the back. Her hair is tied up in a tight ponytail. A black knee support on her left knee. She oozes confidence even with her back to me. I grab my camera and snap a picture.

Diane approaches her. "Are you gonna be okay?" I hear her whisper, gesturing to Alvarrez's knee.

"Chill. I got this." Alvarrez flexes her knee as if to prove her point.

"Fine, but the slightest hint of danger and you're out."

"That's not really for you to decide." She gives Diane a sarcastic smile.

Diane opens her mouth to say something but catches sight of me. She pauses, at the same time, Alvarrez turns around. I get the feeling that Diane just inwardly rolled her eyes at me. "Whatever. Just be careful. I don't want a repeat of what happened last year." She finally says before running to her teammates.

"Are you injured?" I ask Alvarrez.

"I wouldn't call myself injured. My knee's just acting up for the past week, but I'm fine." She says. "What are you doing here?"

"I'll cover the game," I look behind her and see her coach gesturing for them to huddle up. "I think your coach is calling you. Good luck, Alvarrez."

"Do I get a good luck kiss?" She asks this with an innocent look plastered on her face. I stare at her, mouth agape. Then she laughs, ruffles my hair like I'm a child. "I'm kidding. Thanks, Gray." She says before running to their coach.

I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding. So she does remember. "You guys are back on speaking terms again?" Max appears beside me.

I bring my camera up to my face, scanning the venue for a good shot. "I guess we are." I find Kristina. This time, she's the one on the bleachers. She's holding one end of a banner with the words, "ROAD TO 4-PEAT". On the other end, I was surprised to see Georgia holding the banner. I snap another pic. "What is she doing here?"