Chapter 75 - Khaleel

I walked out of the bathroom with a towel around my waist. Kumar was cooking his specialty eggs in the kitchen and listening to his favourite podcast about stocks and big-buck investments.  My half-naked but clean ass made its way towards the bowl of fruit and picked a couple pieces of grapes to taste. They were sweeter than I expected but I tolerated it. Kumar turned down the volume to his podcast. "Your birthday is coming up," he reminded. "Tell me what you want now, so I can plan for it."

"My driver's license," I replied.

Kumar raised his brow. "Is that all?"

"Yeah, and let me borrow one of the sedans from time to time," I added. "Papa won't care. He wants me to become more independent."

Kumar lowered the stove heat and glanced back at me. "I'm pretty sure he said you would only get a car after high school and when you began your internship with him."

"Fine," I exhaled. "Then just the driver's license. I don't know how long he plans to control my life but when I become of age, he's going to hear from me."

Kumar smiled. "No, he isn't."

I walked off and headed for my bedroom. "No, he isn't because that man scares me!"

Today was a big day. At lunch, the student body was going to elect the next president, which would ultimately decide the fate of Arisa's future at Jackheights. I was a little worried about her. I told her not to stress over Tomasia and Matilda but that might have been bullshit. I said what I thought she needed to hear. That girl had been running around for the last year doing shit for Loyal, Tomasia, Zander, and me. The last thing I wanted her to do was jeopardize a big opportunity like this because of our feelings.

I had no doubt in my mind that Arisa would make an awesome Vice President. I had no beef with Joon either, he was a good guy with pretty solid intentions from what I could tell. That, and I knew he was shit-scared of me. My biggest concern, as per usual, was Loyal. He wouldn't take kindly to Arisa's plans for starting a real tutoring service.

I changed into my school uniform and styled my hair a little. The curls were back and they were becoming a pain in the ass to deal with. "Don't loiter," I said, hearing Kumar's footsteps by my door. I didn't face my uncle when he entered the bedroom.

"What?" I asked him. He only hovered when he had something serious to talk about.

It was his turn to exhale. "Maha will be joining Jackheights next term, as a freshman."

"I know," I replied, unfazed by the news about my stepsister. "Papa told me about it before he got hitched."

"Are you sure there isn't anything else you want for your birthday?" Kumar asked. "A licence might not be such a good idea."

"No," I drawled. "Why don't you tell me why you think it's a bad idea?"

Kumar cleared his throat. "Rida said she felt uncomfortable having strange men drive her daughters around, so I've been taking them to school and back. I don't mind it but once Maha attends Jackheights, she might become your responsibility."

"Why the hell would she?"

Kumar leaned against the door. "You father feels protective of her."

Before I could rage, Kumar interrupted me. "Don't ask why," he said. "He really wants you to get along with your sisters, so be nice about it when you have that conversation with them—"

"I'm not going to go looking to have that conversation."

"Well, you might not have a choice, since they're dropping by—"

"They're dropping by?" I complained. "Why! When? I thought the step-mommy hated me?"

Kumar's stare was cold. I moved to grab my wallet and keys off the dresser to fill in the silence.

"Rida never said such a thing," my uncle said. "You're just being over sensitive. And, you can't really blame her for being concerned about you, not with your foul track record."

"Still, if she suddenly wants me to be around Maha and Yumna after talking shit about me behind my back, then I would like to hear it from her."

"You're hearing it from me which means you're hearing it from your Papa," Kumar said, sternly. "Do you really want to push back on this?"

I rolled my eyes. Typical Kumar. He always got serious when the topic of my old man came up. What was his problem anyway? Why was he suddenly team Rida? Would it really be the end of the world if I stayed in my lane and the step-family stayed in theirs? I was fine not knowing them.

"Whatever," I droned. "We can talk about this later, I have to get to school."

"Rida and her girls will be here for dinner at seven tonight," Kumar blurted, avoiding eye contact. "So, be home by five to help me set-up."

I suppressed my urge to swear, just as he adjusted his fruity apron.