Chapter 85 - Tomasia

After I accepted Wade's friend-request, he initiated a conversation immediately. Although, it took me a couple days to get back to him, it felt nice to reconnect with someone from my childhood. At first, I wasn't sure why he decided to get in touch with me. The last time I saw Wade, he told me we couldn't hang out anymore. He never gave me any reasons, and I never pushed for one because I was too angry and confused to form words. It was hard to let my first friend go, but I walked away because Loyal suggested it was for the better.

It's always been really hard for me to make friends. It wasn't until months after our separation with Wade that I began to feel his absence. I missed him and I wanted to reach out, but before I could muster up the courage to, my father moved us away and enrolled us into Jackheights.

It wasn't until my recent conversation with Wade that I came to learn the real reason our friendship ended. Loyal apparently demanded it. Why? Because our mutual friend had feelings for me. We were only eleven years old, it wasn't supposed to be that deep, and yet Loyal put his foot down. I felt terrible hearing the truth, and instinctively, I ended up being the one to apologize to Wade.

"Where is your head at?" Matilda asked.

I snapped out of it and stared ahead at my vanity mirror. The week had flown by but I was still feeling restless and insecure. My family doctor recommended I take a break from school, which upset my mother, and disappointed my father. So, nothing new, really. However, I think hearing that I patched things up with Zander softened the blow. My boyfriend was no longer suspended but he was walking a thin line towards expulsion. I told him point blank that if he wanted our relationship to work then he had to be one hundred percent transparent with me, and stop aiding my brother's business.

"N-Nothing, nowhere," I replied, turning to face my friend.  The former Vice President came over to check up on me and discuss our failed campaign. Unfortunately for her, I wasn't phased by the election results, or by Arisa's involvement with Joon Lee.

"Loyal says he's going to take her head on," Matilda was saying. "I think it's going to be difficult to manage while he's out of the academy, especially with Khaleel retiring, and Zander's probation situation. His only option might be to dismantle the student council. It's not something I would normally condone, but it might give us a chance to reclaim our titles."

Her words triggered me. "Matilda," I spoke softly.

"Yeah?"

"When we first met, you said you would have never guessed me to be Loyal Wilson's sibling, let alone his twin."

Matilda recalled it. "Yeah..."

"Why did you say that?"

"Because he was a corrupt little—"

"Exactly," I interrupted. "He was corrupt...and nothing has changed. He's still not doing things ethically. You have always been on the right side of things, Matilda. You understand order and encourage others to follow the rules of the council. I know you're not happy with the election's outcome but please don't fall to my brother's level."

Matilda got off my bedside. "I'm not falling to his level. We just need his influence to...set things right."

"Things are already set right," I said, getting out from under the sheets. "We had a great term last year. Let's just bow out and live our normal lives."

"Normal?" Matilda asked distastefully. She whipped back to give me an inquisitive stare. "What's gotten into you? The Tomasia I know would never let a setback like this make her give up. We didn't even get to give our speech! We were denied—"

"You were denied."

Deafening silence.

"Take my name out of the equation," I told her. "I lost the moment my relationship with Zander got exposed."

Matilda's eyes stirred. "Why did you let that happen? How could you be so careless as to get caught?"

"Maybe I should have waited until my title was secure before I fooled around with boys," I raised my brow, displeased. "Like you did with Khaleel Abdul."

"That was—"

"But I didn't," I finished. "I'm just worried that my brother might be leading you down the wrong path. It's what he does. He will use anyone he can to get what he wants. Don't mistake his offer for anything else."

Matilda looked hurt. "Why are you saying all this? It's like you're asking me to choose sides."

"There are no sides when it comes to Loyal and me," I replied, crossing my arms. "I always get the short end of the stick. None of that will change as long as he remains a prodigy."

Matilda didn't have any more words to throw at me. Why? Because she knew, the whole academy knew, what my brother was capable of. There was no point denying his abilities, or his obsession with continuing his business. My only concern was his hold on Matilda, it was a brewing relationship, but things could escalate. When Loyal was done using her, what would he do? Would he also demand that she stop hanging around us? Would he drive away another person I cared about? I wouldn't put it past him.