Chapter 96 - Loyal

I chased after Khaleel and Arisa with Hino. "Stay back!" I told Matilda. I wanted her to be the one who escorted the freshman to the nursery. I wanted to hold off too. I wanted to interrogate the freshman myself and get some damn answers but I couldn't let my friend be when he looked so distressed. Maybe something happened with Arisa, or maybe it had nothing to do with her all. Either way, I had to make sure he was okay.

We followed the couple into the left corridor and out the exit. I was half-expecting my heart to shrivel up at the sight of Khaleel pressing his lips against Arisa, but it was surprisingly stable. I glanced away long enough to notice the sedan drivers walking in their direction. Khaleel stepped away from his girlfriend, pulled up the sleeves of his blazer, and rushed in to knock some teeth out.

"Arisa!" I called, getting her attention.

She faced me, looking pale as a ghost, and latched onto my arm. "He told me not to interfere," she said urgently. "He said I couldn't but Loyal, you guys have to! I don't know if he can win against his cousins!"

"Cousins?" I couldn't believe it. "Those cousins?

Arisa nodded.

Hino looked like he didn't need anymore explanation. He bolted behind Khaleel and joined the aggressive take down to even the playing field. Meanwhile, I was looking like a deer in headlights. I couldn't get my head around what Arisa just said. By 'cousins' she meant the guys who broke Khaleel in middle school? The assholes who beat him up everyday just for being his father's son? Those scary assholes?

"Loyal!" Arisa shook my arm. "You have to help them!"

The two on two brawl was happening right in front of me; I could see it clear as day, but it was blurring my vision. It was messing with my priorities. I couldn't get into trouble. I couldn't stir the pot when I just got my uniform back. How could I throw away this golden chance to graduate with my friends if I jumped to—

"Loyal!" Arisa's voice was piercing.

No. There might not be a friend to graduate with if Khaleel's cousins took things too far. I had to do my part. I had to have his back. I moved away from Arisa and dashed towards the unknown danger, towards a battle I wasn't sure I could win. These guys weren't like Dobberman or Nook—they were born to fight on the streets. And yet, Khaleel and Hino were both holding their own. Why was I suddenly so impressed by them? It shouldn't come as a surprise. If I was the Devil on the Rooftop, then Khaleel, Hino, and Zander were the Demons from Jackheights.

I kicked the guy trying to subdue Khaleel from behind, giving him a few seconds to collect himself. My friend's brow was cut and he had a bloody nose. His knuckles weren't any better off. Khaleel placed his hand on my shoulder and gave me a terrifying grin. "Cover me," he said.

"Wait! What are they doing here?"

"Working for my old man," Khaleel replied.

I dodged the fist that came striking from behind. My opponent was shorter than me but his scarred face and lean body told me I shouldn't underestimate him. I blocked a few more of his shots, as Khaleel raced back to Arisa. He grabbed a hold of her arm and dragged her towards the fight. It caught Shorty's attention. He tried to maneuver around me. I was only able to block him by using my whole body.

I felt Khaleel and Arisa zip by from over my shoulder and hurry into the empty sedan. "Wait, what?" I called after them. Khaleel was as tenacious as ever. Did he think he could run away by stealing the car?

Hino had already knocked the crap out of his target. He zipped by the couple eloping in the sedan and came to lend me a hand. "Since when does that idiot drive?" I yelled furiously.

"He doesn't," Hino answered, wiping his bloody cheek. It was two against one now but I was still worried about the outcome. My stomach shrank as the second driver waddled to his feet and began limping towards Shorty to continue the fight.

"This isn't good," I drawled, as the final bell rang. Students were beginning to stick their heads out the windows, along with teachers, and faculty. This fight was going to attract way too much attention. I couldn't help but let my former worries surface again. If my father found out I was throwing hands at Yusuf Abdul's men, he could change his mind about letting me remain at the academy.

"Oh, thank god," Hino exhaled.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Mr. Hermans marching out of the corridor exit. He looked pissed. I wasn't sure if it was at us, for running off in a frenzy, or if it was at the cousins for starting a brawl on school property.