Chapter 100 - Loyal

Mr. Hermans scared Khaleel's cousins off school grounds before things could escalate even further. Since their vehicle got stolen, they had no choice but to bolt on foot, which was a pretty funny sight to see.

I was able to find the freshman Khaleel used as a punching bag after school and forced some answers out of him. Everyone was under the impression that the kid was talking shit about Arisa and that's what provoked the delinquent. In reality, it had nothing to do with her, or Khaleel. The freshman in question was talking shit about me, my sister, and our family drama. He somehow found out I took my parents to court and got caught gossiping about it to the other students.

Khaleel immediately took action and beat him to the bloody pulp. It was so embarrassing to hear. I couldn't stand it. How was that guy always ready to risk suspension for me, while all I could do was hesitate during his time of need? It was beyond messed up and it made me feel like a really shitty friend.

Hino tried to reach the couple through phone but neither of them answered his texts or calls. I had so many questions for Khaleel. Why were his cousins working for his old man? How long had they been in the city? Why didn't he tell us about them sooner?

"We should head for the condo," Hino suggested as we left the nurse's office. The freshman was bed-ridden since the morning. Apparently, he was too afraid to go home and tell his parents what happened. No shit. Even if his folks decided to sue, as soon as they learned who Khaleel's father was, the whole thing would be swept under the rug. Very quietly.

"Condo is probably our best bet," I said, agreeing with Hino. The only one who could give us the answers we wanted was Kumar. It was naive to waltz into Heston Circle with the possibility of running into Papa Abdul, however, that was something we would just have to risk.

I called one of my family drivers to escort us, but to my surprise, Tomasia was already occupying the backseat when we got picked up. I hurried inside and forced her to give me the middle spot while Hino claimed the window seat.

"What are you doing?" I asked my sister. I noticed she wasn't in her uniform today. She was wearing a dark pant-suit instead with sneakers.

"I could ask you the same question," Tomasia replied, eyeing my injuries. "Your first day back and you're already up to your old tricks."

I rolled my eyes. "Why don't you go on with your day? Hino and I have more important things to do than hear a lecture."

"Like heading for Heston Circle?" she asked. "Zander told me all about it."

Hino piped up. "This is why I said we can't trust that idiot with anything anymore."

He then stuck his head out to look at Tomasia. "Khaleel's in trouble," Hino went on. "We need to see his uncle and get some answers about this morning. You're more than welcome to come along if you like. Otherwise, could you excuse us?"

"What he said," I supported.

"I'm not going to excuse myself because I'm afraid if I do then one of you will end up in a ditch somewhere. And the other will end up in jail avenging him."

I took a deep breath in hopes of not lashing out at my little sister. "Please proceed to Heston Circle," I told the driver. "Take the shortest route if you don't mind."

"Yes sir," came the firm reply.

Tomasia checked her watch. "It's almost five. What have you two been doing since school ended?"

"Interrogating people," Hino smiled.

My sister raised her brow.

"I'm pretty sure Khaleel is not answering his phone in fear of his old man tracking it," I concluded. "He probably told Arisa to do the same. So, interrogation was our only option."

"I'm not questioning your method."

"Liar."

Tomasia glared daggers at me.

By the time we got to condo, it was close to five thirty. We hopped out of the car, and rushed to the front doors, and beeped for Kumar to let us inside.

There was no answer.

"Shit," Hino cursed.

"No, wait, look!" Tomasia pointed.

Luck was on our side. A couple was heading out for the evening, and they graciously allowed us into the lobby. The double doors were about to close when a fashionable woman behind me strategically stopped them with her heel. I stared up at her in complete awe. It wasn't just her moves that were impressive, or the menacing expression she was wearing. It was that she looked like a grown-up Arisa Hoffman.

The woman flipped her blond hair as I nervously held the door open for her. She marched right by me and said, "Thanks kid."