Chapter 7 - Khaleel

The wedding hall slowly filled itself up. I stood next to my father and greeted all the guests one by one. He wore a gold and beige kurta with white loafers and accessories to match. His hair was slicked back and his face shaved clean. My three-piece suit had no chance of outshining the groom.

"Mubarak!" a friend of my father's said, congratulating him on the wedding. They made small talk which gave me the opportunity to step back and wait for an introduction. It couldn't come soon enough. "This is my son. Khaleel, say hello to your Uncle Omar."

I couldn't even bring myself to ask if we were actually blood related or not. At this point, it didn't matter. "Salam Alaikum," I said, giving out my hand for the short man to shake.

Omar accepted and smiled. "Wa-Alaikum Asalam," he replied. "He looks tall and strong, Yusuf. What have you been feeding him?"

My father laughed and the went on to boast about his genes. I straightened my back and scanned the courtyard to see who else had made it to the venue. As if on cue, I spotted Wassem, Taheer, and Riyad getting out of a flashy Mercedes. "Fuck," I breathed. I was not ready to face my scary cousins.

Wassem was average height but had grown into his big ears. Taheer was on the shorter side but that was nothing to scoff at. I had experienced his bad temperament firsthand and heard about his run-ins with the police back in Pakistan. Riyad was the tallest of the group. His delicate features made him popular with women but that didn't mean shit. As I recalled, he was the easiest to beat up. My scary cousins were only a couple of years older than me but they acted like they had decades on me.

"Uncle Yusuf," Wassem said, as Kumar guided Omar to the main foyer. He was there to make sure no one loitered outside for too long, especially the uncles, who easily lost track of time conversing with one another.

"Wassem," my dad acknowledged the asshat. Taheer and Riyad stayed close to their leader as I respectfully kept my distance. "You made it. Wonderful. Please, go inside and enjoy some food."

Wassem nodded before shooting me a dirty look. "Good to see you, Khaleel," he said bitterly.

I wanted to ask him how his wrist was doing after I dislocated it three years ago but decided to bite my tongue. "Yeah, I don't know...is it?" I asked.

You could cut the tension with a knife. I watched my cousins make their way past my father and into the main foyer. Kumar's eyes flashed in my direction from the stairs, letting me know he had my back. I appreciated him looking out for me but I was more than capable of handling my own affairs now. I wasn't afraid of anyone and if my cousins thought I was still a weak little shit, they would be in for a rude awakening.

"Don't let me catch you roughhousing at my wedding, Khaleel," my father said. "I expect all four of you to be on your best behaviour."

"Understood," I replied.

Half an hour later, all guests were in their segregated halls, while the bride and groom occupied a private room to sign the paperwork. I stayed close to Kumar through the majority of it, having zero interest in conversing with others. If I could have it my way, I would be hanging out with my date. I pulled out my phone to text Arisa. 'Hey. How's it going over there?'

"Your balls must have finally dropped," I heard someone say. I looked up to find Wassem, Taheer, and Riyad standing in front of me.

"What?" I asked solemnly.

"What?" Wassem mimicked. "I said your balls must have dropped, you little fucker."

"So, what if they did?" I raised my brow. "You want some tips for when yours finally drop?"

Taheer moved to put hands on me but Riyad quickly stopped him. Wassem's smile was chilling. "Keep talking shit," he said leaning in. "We're here for the weekend, so you will get yours. If not today then tomorrow."

I was bored by his threats. "My old man might have let you beat the crap out of me in Pakistan but he won't let it slide here. Not tonight at least. Then there's Kumar Dhanial, you guys do know who he is...don't you?"

Wassem and Taheer seemed unaffected by my words but I could see fear swelling up in Riyad's eyes. He was such a coward.

"So, if I were you," I drawled. "I would spend less time plotting shit and more time enjoying the wedding."