Chapter 49 - Tomasia

There were tons of eyes on me in politics. The fangirls were giving me death stares, while the rest of the students curiously lingered around my desk. I could even spot Mr. Salim and Mr. Hermans glancing at me from their desks. Khaleel had gone out of his way to create a barrier around me, with Zander sitting in front, Hino to my left, and the delinquent to my right. It was awkward watching him intimidate our classmates into switching seats around. He was acting like he wasn't in hot water with half of them, as if his decision to dissolve my brother's business was firm.

Loyal might never forgive him but none of it would matter if he couldn't get back into the academy. I was still processing my conversation with Hamela Tahir. Everything she said was unbelievable. What lengths was my father willing to go to teach my brother a lesson? I assumed that's what it was. It couldn't be anything else. He must have convinced the board that Loyal was moving onto bigger and better things—it was a power move.

I was waiting for the right time to tell my brother everything but his priorities seemed to be focused on  Arisa Hoffman. I rolled my eyes at the thought of my new bodyguard. Mr. Salim caught me and raised a brow in response. I looked away, pulled my class booklet from the drawer, and wrote the date and class number on the top right hand corner.

"Send me a screenshot of your schedule," my boyfriend said, turning around.

"Why?" I asked.

"So, I can make sure we have every hour marked,"  came the strict reply. "Hino can keep an eye on you first period and you're covered for this class, but what does your afternoon look like?"

"I have French and English with Matilda," I said. "A lot of the fangirls are in P.E with Arisa, so you don't have to worry about me."

"Khaleel," Zander said.

"Yeah?" the delinquent asked.

"Can you skip your afternoon classes and escort Tommy to hers?"

"Ugh, fine."

I scoffed. "That won't be happening."

"Baby, you don't get a say," Zander smiled. "The only other person the teachers won't pester with questions besides Loyal is Khaleel. His dad is second in command on the board."

"In name," Khaleel added. "Technically, Kumar's the one doing all the heavy lifting."

"I don't need two bodyguards," I said sternly.

Zander's face solemned. "Well, you're getting them," he said, and then looked at the boy sitting behind me. "What the fuck are you looking at?"

I whipped around and saw Basil Bhak's life flash before his eyes. He was quick to avert his gaze and began fiddling with his mechanical pencil.  "N-Nothing," he stuttered.

"Tomasia," Mr. Salim called.

I faced the front of the classroom and tried my best to stay calm and composed. "Yes?" I asked.

"Please come with me," he said, clipboard in hand. I watched him walk to the classroom door and open it. I got up and respectfully obeyed.

Zander didn't look too happy about my summons. "What about me?" he asked, standing up. "If this about that article then don't you need to also see me?"

"Sit your ass down, Easton," Mr. Hermans said. "This has nothing to do with you."

I couldn't help but feel for my idiotic boyfriend. His paranoia was becoming all consuming, I could see it all over his beautiful face. I gave him a little smile to assure him everything was okay—not that I knew any better. I had no idea why Mr. Salim was asking to speak with me privately. I guessed it had something to do with the upcoming election.

I followed the student teacher to the end of the hall, where he led me into one of the faculty' lounges. He had to use a fob to unlock it. Inside, he welcomed me into an solitary office with a desk and two chairs. "Have a seat," he said.

"What's this about?" I asked, complying.

Mr. Salim joined me. "Mr. Hermans wants to know if you would be interested in joining his Student Ambassadors Club. That is...if you can't reclaim your title as the student body president."

My brows furrowed. "Excuse me?"

The student teacher leaned in and his broad shoulders and upper body claimed half the desk. "But I'm more interested to know what you see in Zander Easton," he drawled, his soft eyes intensifying. "How can you be with someone who fooled around with women twice his age?"

Blood rushed to my heart in a fit of anger. "What the hell are you talking about?" I glared.

"Oh, wow," the student teacher feigned a laugh. "Do you really not know what that kid's body count is?"