Chapter 63 - Khaleel

I walked out of the boys locker room after my last period, gym. That's when I overheard a group of freshman girls talking around the corner. They were standing by the event board and discussing the upcoming election, the scandal involving Tommy and Zander, and rumours about the Devil on the rooftop. I tuned in to listen out of curiosity. Good intel was hard to find at Jackheights nowadays, especially after Hino tapped out of his communications position. And...after I told him to send out an update letting everyone know I would not be Loyal's successor. Hino had to turn off all notifications because the backlash was so intense.

"The only reason I came to this school was because I wanted to meet the Devil myself," one girl said.

"I know what you mean," another chimed in. "But you have to admit, Khaleel Abdul is not a bad replacement."

"He's not replacing him," the first girl corrected. "According to my cousin, he's not helping anybody with their grades this year."

"I heard a couple of seniors tried to pressure him into it and he kicked their sorry asses," another girl added. "He's so hot. I can't even make eye contact with him. I feel so unworthy."

"I feel like the more we swoon, the more power he holds over us," a familiar voice added. It was Reyhanna. That little brat.

"You would know," one of the girls laughed. "You chase him around enough."

"I do not chase him!" Reyhanna scoffed.

"Oh, you totally do!"

"Yeah, you're the only one brave enough to."

"That's because we have history," Reyhanna admitted. That caught my interest. She did keep insinuating that we met somewhere before, and no matter how hard I tried to figure out from where, I couldn't remember.

I turned the corner to reveal myself. Reyhanna saw me right away, but her friends' backs stayed on me. It prompted them to keep talking shit. I crossed my arms and stood behind them, eyeing Reyhanna to stay quiet.

"We have history too!" one of the girls bragged. She was shorter than the rest with long black hair and a small figure.

Reyhanna hung her head, embarrassed.

"On the first day of school, Khaleel Abdul made eye contact with me," she went on.

The tallest girl smacked her shoulder. "Shut up!" she laughed. "Really?"

"And?" the last girl giggled. Her hair was dyed three different colours and she wore a lot of rings on her fingers.

"If looks could kill," Shorty cooed.

I cleared my throat to get their attention, because they were clearly too slow to look back on their own. Their shocked expressions were in sync and priceless. I couldn't help but break out into a smile, which wasn't something I lightly did at school.

"You flatter me," I teased the speaker. Her blank stare was all too telling and it looked like her body was frozen in place too. The tall one cupped her hands over her mouth and took a slow step back, while the last girl gasped and whipped around to make sure she didn't make eye contact with me.

Reyhanna's guilty eyes didn't go unnoticed. "How much of our conversation did you hear?" the brat asked me.

I shrugged. "Enough."

"Eavesdropping is not cute, Khaleel."

"I don't fucking care, Rey," I glared. "I'm here because I have a bone to pick with you."

Shorty squeaked. "Rey? He calls her Rey?"

"W-What bone?" Reyhanna stammered.

I moved past her friends and stared down at her. "Take a little walk with me and you will find out," I grinned.

"Can we come?" the tall girl beamed.

I raised my brow at her. "Of course not," I said, grabbing Reyhanna by the wrist and pulling her away. I was going to have her tell me where we met if it was the last thing I did. Well, figuratively speaking...because I did promise to meet up with the boys after school to hunt down Mr. Salim. Not to mention, Miss. Findlay, who had also been MIA since the rooftop incident. The faster I dealt with the brat, the sooner I could get down to business.