Chapter 18 - Arisa

Biology was my first class of the day. I was bright eyed and ready to learn from the man in a white lab coat and brown boots. I found my spot at the front of the class and decided to set all my worries to the back of my mind. I was determined to stay out of trouble this term and make some sort of contribution to Jackheights. My parents weren't loaded. They didn't have money to throw at the academy to keep me enrolled. I was on my own and if I wanted to get into a proper university, I had to start standing out in better ways. Not for intervening in fights between meat-heads like Zander Easton and Neal Dobberman. I had to stop being unnecessarily curious about other people's lives too, and focus on my own. Rooftop losers? Not my problem. Pretty freshman from the hallway? Not my problem. Khaleel Abdul? Kind of my problem...

He was in the same class as me. And if that wasn't enough to distract me from my new goals, so was Matilda Hawkins. The former Vice President chose to sit right next to me. For what reason? I was trying really hard not to think about it. The girl had been crushing on the school delinquent since junior high and Khaleel only started paying attention to her after she hit puberty. I didn't know the full details of their relationship last term, but I knew enough to acknowledge how much he hurt her. 

I offered to be friends with Matilda after Khaleel confessed to me, but she said she couldn't agree to it because I was her rival. I wondered if she still felt that way, or if something had changed over the summer? My eyes shifted in her direction. Matilda was a pretty girl, a lot prettier than me. Her almond eyes were bright brown, her curly hair was beautifully tied up to show off her slim neck, and her toffee complexion was irritatingly spotless. Honestly, it was Khaleel's loss.

The school delinquent walked to the back of the class and sat by the windows. He probably had no interest in socializing with his peers today. Especially since his boys were taking advanced calculus in the new building with Tomasia Wilson, or so the soccer prodigy told me. Hino Matsunaga asked for my number at the end of last term and he occasionally texted me to see if I needed help with anything. I thought it was strange for him to take a sudden interest in my life, but Khaleel said otherwise. Apparently, after my kidnapping, the rooftop losers couldn't help but keep tabs on me.

"Good morning juniors," the biology teacher said. He scanned the class and made eye contact with every single student. "My name is Mr. Arkins. I've been teaching at Jackheights for almost a decade now, my favourite colour is blue, and when I'm not marking, I'm on a golf course with my best friend and brother-in-law."

There was an awkward silence. I was sure everyone was wondering the same things as me; why was our biology teacher telling us about his favourite colour and brother-in-law?

"I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you this semester," Mr. Arkins continued. "So, let's take some time to introduce ourselves. It will help me learn your names and bring us closer together. We can start at the back right—you there, the young man staring out the window."

It was Khaleel. Mr. Arkins was calling Khaleel out on the first day of school. It was not a good look for him but I was sure the big idiot didn't care.

"What?" Khaleel asked, solemnly. "What do you want to know?"

"Your name to start," Mr. Arkins said.

"Khaleel Abdul."

Mr. Arkins nodded. "Very nice to meet you Khaleel. What is your favourite colour? And do you have a hobby?"

Khaleel looked unimpressed. "Seriously?"

"Seriously," Mr. Arkins smiled.

Khaleel's eyes met mine. He answered the questions while holding my gaze. "My favourite colour is grey and my hobby...? These days it seems to be falling for girls I can't have."

I nearly choked on air.

I whipped my head to the front of the class, hoping to avoid curious looks from our peers, and Matilda Hawkins. The entire school thought Khaleel and I were dating last term, and as annoying as that was—considering I had just broken up with one of his best friends—it didn't help to hear the idiot make such bold statements our first day back.

"Charming," Mr. Arkins commented. "Next student please. Name, favourite colour, and hobby."