Chapter 1 - Khaleel

My fingers instinctively moved to brush my curly hair back, when I remembered there wasn't much left to play with. My uncle, Kumar, had talked me into getting a haircut a couple of days ago. I wanted to fight him on it but I knew if I didn't clean up for my old man's wedding, there would be hell to pay. I wasn't used to having a fade but it helped keep me cooler through the summer weather. When the sun was out with a vengeance, I protected the back of my head with a hat, but nothing could save me from the harsh humidity. I was a sitting duck—a sweaty sitting duck.

Zander raced under the basket and caught the ball I shot in. He dribbled it to my side of the court and gave me a thrilling smile. He was a giant but that didn't mean he was unbeatable and I was ready to prove it to him. "Come on, Easton," I said, waving him over with four fingers.

Zander rushed me and worked around my blocks to take back the point. He was very successful.
The guy was a beast on the court, which made it hard to believe Arisa challenged him and won. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach at the reminder—I pursed my lips, annoyed by it all. This wasn't the time or the place to be dealing with my feelings. I had a game to finish and I needed a clear head to do it.

Forget the butterflies.

Forget Arisa Hoffman.

"Come on , Abdul," Zander smiled, as he brought the ball back to centre court and bounced it to me. "Hoffman was better at stopping me."

My face dropped, irked by the offside comment and the flapping sensation spreading through my abdomen. "You take that back," I glared, bouncing the ball to him.

Zander shrugged. "Can't," he said, dribbling. He stuck his tongue out and then went in for another shot. I waved my hands to block his his path and forced my body to defend but he was able to get past me and take another point. Every competitive bone in my body switched itself on to pay him back.

I spent the summer hanging out with Zander more than anybody else. Mostly, it was to avoid dealing with my old man's upcoming prenuptial. I wasn't on board with his second marriage and I wasn't good at hiding it from my future stepmother or stepsisters. When Zander couldn't spend time with me, I turned to Hino for entertainment but he was busy playing host to Loyal, who officially told his parents he was taking them to court.

According to Ontario's Children's Law Reform ACT, Loyal had to be sixteen years old before he could move out of his parents' house. Fortunately for him, his birthday arrived right on time. In Canada, there were no laws for emancipation but that didn't stop Loyal from challenging the judge and letting his parents know just how much he hated them. Counselling was suggested but it wasn't something Loyal wanted to waste time on. The judge told him he had to graduate high school before making any rash decisions. He got a big kick out of that. Loyal used his acceptance letters into Brown and Princeton to say he was ready to pursue an undergraduate degree. The judge insisted on counselling and postponed her decision to the end of the summer.

Loyal didn't realize how lucky he was to be able to challenge his family like that. If I ever served emancipation papers to my old man, I wouldn't be able to attend any kind of court date. I would be dead, buried six feet under with my tombstone reading: disowned and disposed of.

Fifteen minutes later, Zander and I ran out of fuel and postponed our rivalry so we could rest on the court side bench. The arrogant prick was winning by six points. He didn't have to brag about it but he couldn't help himself. I rehydrated before spraying him in the face with my water bottle. Zander scurried off the bench, pulled an extra t-shirt out of his duffle bag and tried to whip me with it. I caught the sleeve with one quick move and pulled on the fabric so hard, the shirt surrendered itself to me.

Zander was good at basketball but in a fight, he had to know I would destroy him.

"How's the jaw?" I asked, after we settled down.

"The worst of it is over. I'm just happy to be able to talk."

What a perfect opportunity to tease him. "I could have gone a few more months without you talking."

He flipped me off.

"Any more updates about Loyal?" I changed the subject.

"Tommy says he stopped answering her text messages," Zander replied. "I wish he wouldn't lash out at her when she's been so supportive."

I raised my brow. "Yeah. You and Tommy have been getting pretty close since your trip to the hospital. Is there something going on between you two?"

Zander wistfully stared up at the sky. "I would be one lucky bastard if there was. She's so amazing."

I sprayed him with my water bottle again. Zander spurted and scrunched his brows together. I smacked his forehead with the shirt and then released it, so he could wipe his face with it. "Make a follow-up appointment with your doctor," I advised. "I think you need brain surgery."

"Don't take your frustrations out on me," Zander said, brushing me off.

"What frustrations?"

"The ones you caught in the friend zone," he replied. The fucking asshole knew exactly where to strike. "You need to forget about Arisa Hoffman."

"Thanks, Tips."