Chapter 112 - Arisa

Khaleel's bedroom was still and quiet. No one was making any moves to eavesdrop, even though it was clear that we all wanted to. Thankfully, Khaleel and Mr. Abdul's voices carried to us, as did Rida's. It was just as I thought, she was really nice, and all she wanted from Khaleel was quality time. It sounded like she was just now learning how bad Khaleel's relationship with his father was. I was getting impatient waiting for their conversation to finish, and praying that things didn't escalate. Kumar and Rida wouldn't let that happen. Right? Right?

"It's going to be okay," Hino assured, seeing through my worries.

Mom nodded. "I think so too."

"And if it isn't then I'll just kidnap Khaleel and have him live with me," Hino went on.

"That will probably make the situation worse," I replied, tirelessly.

Hino shrugged. "I mean, it worked for Loyal."

I leaned my head against the door, closed my eyes,  and focused on the argument between Khaleel and his father, instead of on Hino. It sounded like Rida and Mr. Abdul were the ones having a disagreement now. Something about a plane ticket. Then, all of a sudden, I heard the front door slam shut. My eyes flashed open and I bolted out, getting mom and Hino to follow up behind me. Khaleel stood in the living room with his fists clenched, and it looked like Kumar hadn't moved from his spot in the kitchen. Mr. Abdul and Rida were nowhere in sight. I rushed up to my boyfriend and took a hold of his arm. "Babe?" I whispered. "What happened?"

"That fucking asshole," Khaleel muttered, trying to keep his anger in check. "He got my plane ticket separately because he wasn't sure he wanted me around? He really is the scum of the earth!"

I glanced at Kumar. "What is he talking about?"

"Apparently, Yusuf was planning a trip to Pakistan with Rida, and the girls," Kumar explained. "He wasn't going to invite Khaleel because he was upset with him, but after the fight they had at dinner, Rida insisted Khaleel join them. We just both learned what that ticket was really for."

Rida re-entered the condo, looking completely defeated. She kept her distance while addressing her step-son. "I'm sorry, beta," she frowned. "You don't have to go anywhere you don't want to, and you don't have to pretend with me, or my girls."

"You don't understand," Khaleel scoffed. "This is what he does. This is what he's fucking good at, manipulating people. He knows what a plane ticket to Pakistan means to me, so he purposely didn't tell you about it."

Rida took a second to collect her thoughts. "That may be true but at the end of the day, he's your father, and that means he's responsible for you. I'm afraid I won't be able to change his mind about things. I'm only a step-mother, after all."

Rida glanced at Kumar and then at my mom. "I apologize for the interruption," she said, wearing a heartbreaking smile. "Please excuse us."

"Have a good night," Mom replied. It seemed like that was the only thing she could say in this situation. I wanted to speak up and stop Rida from leaving but I felt like it wasn't my place to. I eyed Hino, who looked just as uncertain.

"Aunty," Khaleel called after Rida on his own. She turned to face him, her hand tightly gripping the doorknob. "Aunty is the best I can do right now. So, if you can help me out with him...please do so. In return, I'll apologize to Yumna and Maha."

Rida's smile was beautiful.

"I'll even think about going overseas with you," Khaleel said, ruffling his hair. "If it's a family trip, and not a punishment."

"Aunty, huh?" Rida released the doorknob. "I'll take it."

I intertwined my fingers with Khaleel's. We watched his step-mother exit the apartment together, while Hino, Kumar, and mom spectated from behind. It had been a dramatic few hours but it seemed like Khaleel finally made some progress, not with Mr. Abdul, but with his wonderful wife. Given time, I was sure Khaleel's relationship would only improve with Rida, which would give his father less reason to be angry and throw fits.

It was a good start.

"I would wait a few minutes before heading out," Kumar said to my mom. He offered her a cup of warm tea and gestured towards the couch. Hino took Kumar's invitation personally and made his way back to the biscuits.

"Are you okay?" I asked Khaleel.

"Surprisingly, yeah," he replied, relaxing his body. "Thanks for being here, Hoffman. I don't know what I would have done without you."

"You would have been fine without me," I assured him. "I'm only here to encourage you, Khaleel. That's the easy part. The hard part is having these conversations and standing up to your dad. That was all you."

He leaned down to peck my forehead. "That whole interaction shortened my lifespan," he said softly. "I feel like I need a fucking bubble bath, or at least some sex."

I immediately covered his mouth with my hands. "My mother's right over there, you stupid pervert!"

"I know, I know," he drawled, pulling away. "Hey, you think you can take Hino's place and sleepover tonight? I have a new brand of condoms I've been meaning to test out."

"When the hell did you have time to buy them?" I hissed, glaring daggers.

"Ha," he grinned. "You caught me. They were complimentary from the hotel."

I couldn't believe the nerve of this human being. How could he flip a switch so quickly after something so serious? He was so unpredictable and blunt. It was going to be the death of me, no, he was going to be the death of himself. I might kill him with my bare hands if he kept spouting such embarrassing nonsense.