Chapter 38 - Arisa

I arrived home before noon, which was a big relief because mom loved sleeping in on Sundays. I was hoping to sneak back into my bedroom before she woke up, change into my jammies, and pretend I was home the whole night. It would be better than telling her I lost my virginity to the school delinquent. Mom might murder me. Not because of who I lost it to but because I was still in high school.

To my happy surprise, the house was quiet. This could only mean that the universe was giving me the golden opportunity I needed. I crept up the stairs and tip-toed into my bedroom. Then, I carefully locked the door and stripped out of all my clothes. I desperately needed to shower, but what if I ran the water and it was too loud? Mom might storm in to discipline me in my birthday suit. Shoot. Okay, I had to change into jammies first and shower later. I felt a little gross slipping into clean clothes but beggars couldn't be choosers.

I used wipes to clean off the foundation and mascara off my face and then headed straight to bed. I didn't have to pretend to be sleeping or anything—being awake could work, but I had to do it in a casual manner. I had to wipe the look of desperation off my face. I pulled my lap-top over and scrolled through funny videos online. That was my usual weekend routine after my morning run anyway.

Fifteen minutes later, I was sprawled on the bed, genuinely consumed by a video of a turtle eating chunks of watermelon bits.

Two sharp knocks came at my door.

"Come in," I said.

Mom walked in, hands crossed and an eyebrow raised. I knew what she was going to say so I decided to offer an explanation. "Sorry, I didn't call to tell you how late I was going to be."

"Your ambiguous texts are not appreciated, Arisa," Mom replied, coming over to my bedside. "I trust Kumar to not let anything happen but I specifically asked you to not sleep over."

"What do you mean?" I laughed, my heart full of guilt. Kumar was not there but I wasn't going to tell her that. "I've been in bed since six this morning."

I didn't think Mom could raise her eyebrow any higher. "Arisa," she said sternly.

"What?" I smiled sheepishly. Mom stared me down until I cracked. "Okay, fine. I slept at the condo, but you should have more faith in me."

"And you should know better than to lie," Mom retorted, taking a seat on my bed. "No more sleepovers at your boyfriend's place."

"We're not calling him that."

"Good. Then it should be easy to sleep here from now on."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, no more sleepovers."

Mom nodded. "As for your punishment, you're in charge of making breakfast."

"Is it punishment or are you just not in the mood to burn toast today?" I teased, getting off my bed.

Mom followed me out of the bedroom and downstairs. I postponed my shower to after breakfast. That way, I could bathe and brush my teeth all at once. It was a time-saver in retrospect. I pre-heated the oven for hash browns, took out the bacon and turned on the stove-top to medium heat. I cracked three eggs and whipped them up with spices and some cut veggies before whisking everything together.

Another fifteen minutes passed before brunch was ready. Mom and I ate it together in the living area while watching, Say Yes to the Dress. Besides the beautiful gowns and stunning reveals, we lived for the family drama. When the commercial came on, Mom decided to finally address my earlier statement. "So, you and Khaleel aren't dating?"

"We're not labeling our relationship," I offered.

Mom nodded. "But you're exclusive."

"I hope so."

Mom muted the television. "Don't you think that's a slippery slope? You could both end up getting hurt if you don't clarify your intentions."

"We did clarify them," I defended. "We're just doing things our way instead of what everyone else expects us to do."

"Sure, but you're young and I wouldn't want you to become somebody's second choice when you deserve so much more."

"Thanks mom," I smiled. "I know my worth—and Khaleel has been clear about his feelings for me at the worst of times, so I don't think he will do anything to hurt us."

Mom nodded. "Well, I'm sure you know him better than I do. Still, as your mother I feel like I need to know what he means to you if you're sleeping over at the condo."

"Never again though," I recalled.

"No—never."

I leaned back on the couch. "I guess you can see him as the boy your daughter likes."

"Alright then."