Chapter 43 - Khaleel

'We'll go over your head Khaleel, if we have to.'

Those words replayed in my mind like a broken record. I clenched my fists in an attempt to get a grip but I couldn't forgive Loyal for the shit he said. I wanted to get on the first bus back to Heston Circle and scream murder into my pillow, but I knew that wouldn't be enough. Striking a punching bag didn't sound appealing either, no I needed real release. I needed a fresh wound to wake me up from the anger  seeping into my skin. I could jab my fist into the upcoming pole? It might help me snap out of it but then Arisa would get mad at me for being a hothead. She was trying so hard to accept my inner-demons and the world my dad raised me in. I couldn't disappoint her by letting my volcanic rage get the better of me.

So, what if Loyal thought he knew her better than I did? So, what if he was willing to put her in danger over his family—that was natural wasn't it? I couldn't say I didn't understand. I had a sisters too and I would do anything to protect them. But would I choose them over Arisa? Probably not. I couldn't compare the two. Tomasia and Loyal shared a womb together. Maha and Yumna were only related to me by my old man's second marriage.

"Fuck!" I cursed, stopping dead in my tracks. I hadn't realized how far I had made it out of Zander's neighbourhood. The local plaza was just up ahead. I could call a cab to pick me up but I really didn't feel like going back to the condo. I didn't want Kumar giving me the third degree when he realized how pissed off I was. Maybe Arisa was free? I pulled out my phone and sent her a message to check. She was good at calming me down—maybe seeing her cute face would be enough to bring me some peace of mind?

Just then, I heard a group of loudmouths talking nearby. They were headed in my direction from the opposite end of the sidewalk. I recognized them too. They were juniors at Jackheights, just like me, and former clients of Loyal's. We never had any problems with them because they always paid for our services on time. Still, I wasn't in the mood for small-talk, and I didn't want to give them the opportunity to ask me for answers for the midterm. They were actually smart enough to pass the exams on their own, but they chose no to.

I kept my head down and focused on texting Arisa. I hoped they would walk on without noticing who I was...but that was wishful thinking.

"Khaleel," Parker Wayne said, stepping in my tracks. He was a lean guy with blue eyes and brown curly hair. He was the type of person who loved flaunting his wealth in other people's faces. "What a small world, kid."

Geun Soo Go almost choked on the Bridgehead he was slurping. Taller than Parker, he was a Korean boy who actually had a moral compass. Toby Hernandez and Vin Ackerman on the other hand seemed unbothered. They were the perfect lackeys for Parker because his mother's successful outerwear company employed Toby and Vin's parents.

"Don't start shit today, Parker," Geun Soo advised.

"What?" Parker laughed. "He's a year younger than me. He shouldn't forget that just because he's the devil's successor."

My eyes flashed up to glare at the fucker. "I'm not anyone's successor. Pass it on, would you?"

"You failed grade three too, so don't brag about it," Geun Soo added.

Toby and Vin laughed.

"Shut up," Parker said to Geun Soo before he addressed me. "I guess you didn't get my message did you? And here I thought hearing it from Arisa Hoffman would bring me some results."

"Try opening a text book," I retorted, attempting to move along. Toby and Vin stepped up to block my path. They were bigger than Geun Soo and Parker, and famously known for bringing trophies to Jackheights' rugby team. I knew their punches would hurt like a bitch, but I was feeling fearless at the moment.

I made direct eye-contact with the tanks and finally unclenched my first. "You really don't want to test me today," I advised. "Walk away while I'm being nice."

"Maybe we want to test you," Vin said, crossing his massive arms.

"Or maybe you should continue with the services your predecessor promised," Toby added.

"I think we should all just take a second to breathe," Geun Soo suggested from the sidelines.

Parker quickly shut him up with one look, before coming to stand in front of Vin and Toby. "I've never had a problem with you, Khaleel. You know this. Our parents are actually well acquainted, so I would hate to damage that relationship, but if you aren't able to deliver on your promises, then you shouldn't make any."

"I didn't make them you dumb fuck," I retorted. "I was only helping out a friend. So, I'll tell you for the last time, I'm not the successor. I don't have answers for you. Pass that message along."

Parker moved into my personal space. He was just a little shorter than me, so it was hard to take him seriously, but Toby and Vin's presence compensated for it. "Control that tongue of yours, Abdul and learn to hold a civilized conversation."

I couldn't control my fist when it shot up to connect with Parker's face. "Make me," I said, as Vin kept him from falling. Toby stepped up to retaliate, but missed my nose by an inch. That's when I ducked to punch him in the stomach. It was the beginning of the fight and it only lasted about ten to fifteen minutes before strangers tried to intervene.

Four against one wasn't really fair and everyone could see that, especially when Vin landed a hit on my face and I cut my lip on his fucking ring. I didn't let that stop me. I retaliated pretty well and would have been able to cause more damage if people didn't pull out their phones to record everything. I took that as a sign to make a quick exit and walked off before the authorities got involved.