Chapter 109 - Tomasia

Hino was determined to make sure Khaleel remained in Canada. I wasn't sure if his plan to move into the condo was going to do the trick but there was no stopping him once he made up his mind. On our way to collect the runaway couple, I asked him why he felt so confident around Mr. Abdul when his own son and secretary feared him. Hino's answer was simple and touching. It once again reminded me why people found him to be so likeable and charming. He was never the type to sugarcoat his opinion, I was sure it was a habit he picked up from Loyal, but unlike my brother, he actually used it to make a point.

"I was the first real friend Khaleel made," Hino said. He was comfortably seated in the back of the black van. Loyal and I occupied the two window seats in the middle row, while Mr. Abdul's secretary rode shot-gun. "I'm not saying that to sound arrogant. I'm only quoting him...word for word. So, I feel a great deal of responsibility to make sure I never find him in that state again."

"What state?" I inquired.

"The state I met him in," Hino replied. "He was broken and damaged, inside and out, from visiting Pakistan in the summer. Even after his bruises healed, his body never returned to normal...physiotherapy only helped so much. For a long time, his fear of returning to Pakistan became my fear. All the horrifying stories he told me about his cousins and his father's side of the family made me sick to my stomach. I began to fear him leaving, not just to the homeland, but wherever else Papa Abdul might send him."

The van went silent. I caught Mr. Abdul's secretary staring at us through the rearview mirror sorrowfully. "So," Hino sighed. "I made a promise to myself. I was never going to let that guy feel alone or broken ever again. I was going to get stronger. I was going to have his back."

"Is that why you got him to join the friend group?" I asked. "You didn't want him to be alone anymore?"

"Pretty much," Hino replied. "Loyal knows this but my parents made Kohaku and I dabble in martial arts when we were in elementary school. Haku dropped out pretty quickly because he found it too much work. After I received my brown belt, I tapped out because of my love for soccer. Then I met Khaleel and everything changed. He took up soccer to stay out of trouble and I started boxing to keep him company."

"Hino doesn't look it, but this guy can give our little delinquent a run for his money," Loyal spoke up. "Last year, when he went up against Dobberman's friends and ended up in a cast, I honestly couldn't believe it."

"They caught me off guard with that baseball bat."

Loyal crossed his arms sternly. "Baseball bat huh? I think you forgot to mention that important detail."

Hino laughed nervously. "D-Did I?"

"I know how strong he is," I exhaled sharply. There was no need to bring up the time Hino reprimanded Dobberman for stalking me in my own neighbourhood, and threatened to gouge his eyes out if he ever approached me again. This was after...the incident. He was already kicked out of the academy by then but he kept making his advances. The memory made my bile twitch.

"I'm strong because of the promise I made to myself," Hino supplied. "I'm strong because I'm very well aware of the life Khaleel lives. If Kumar can't protect him from Papa Abdul's expectations then I'll just have to do it myself."

I couldn't help but smile at my former crush. "He probably doesn't know how lucky he is to have a friend like you," I said.

"I was about to say the same thing," the secretary added, looking back at us. His soft expression caught the three of us off guard. "Thank you, Hino."

Hino showed teeth. "Thank you for raising my best friend."

I eyed my brother deviously. "Ouch."

Loyal rolled his eyes. "Don't ruin the moment, Tommy."

I pinched him in the ribs, getting him to squirm away. "One more thing," I said. "How is that you're the only one Mr. Abdul listens to, Hino? He was pretty stern with Loyal and Mrs. Hoffman yesterday, but as soon as you showed up, his whole tune changed."

The secretary took it upon himself to answer. "There are two kinds of people Yusuf admires, those who can bite as hard as they bark, and those who can stand in a boxing ring with him for more than a minute."

Hino shrugged. "I sort of did both."

"How?" Loyal and I were in sync.

"By challenging him to a match," came the calm reply.

"So, y-you won?" Loyal gawked.

"Of course not," Hino answered. "I only blocked one of his attacks but it was enough to impress him."