Chapter 29 - Tomasia

I wouldn't have been able to muster up the courage to attend school if it weren't for Loyal. He helped me wash-up and said he would escort me there. I took him up on the offer and instructed my driver to keep his lips shut about it. If our parents found out my brother was still hanging around the house, things could turn for the worse. Zander had been trying to get in touch with me all morning too, insisting that I stay home if I felt like I couldn't handle the pressure. He was worried about me, and I appreciated it, but staying home would do me more harm than good.

When the driver pulled up to Jackheights, I caught Loyal staring out the window absentmindedly. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that he missed being in high school with his friends. "Please don't give Zander a hard time," I said, stealing his attention.

My brother's eyes were stone cold but they lowered their guard once they met mine.

"This isn't his fault," I added. "He wanted to have an honest relationship with me but I said I wanted to keep things a secret. After everything he's done for me, with breaking his jaw, and running to my aid when I felt like I couldn't go on anymore, the last thing he deserves is grievances from you."

"I'm sure you're right," Loyal said. "But I still need to have a little talk with him."

"About what?" I asked, feeling anxious. "Just ask me what you want to know and I will tell you everything. Please, Loyal. I don't want him to be burdened by this anymore than he already is."

"He knew the risks when he decided to be with you," came the straight response. "And as your brother, I can't hand you over to just anybody."

"How could you say that?" I argued. "He's not just anybody! He's a good friend of yours."

"Good friends don't lie to one another."

"I told you he did it because I asked him to!"

"That doesn't excuse him and it doesn't excuse you either," Loyal replied. "You're my sister and I need to make sure you're in good hands."

I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out of the car. There was no point trying to get through to someone who already made up his mind. "Fine then," I said.

I made my way to the security booth and flashed my identification card for access. I could already feel eyes sticking to my back. I could hear whispers about my relationship with the school playboy entering the grapevine and making its way throughout the front quad. It was fine. This was to be expected. If it affected my run for presidency then so be it. If I couldn't control what happened to me, or what people said behind my back, then I had to focus on my responses to them. Letting them see me panic would mean defeat and I wasn't ready to let that happen.

I reached the atrium to the new building and headed straight for the courtyard. To my surprise, it was full of students enjoying a break before the first period. While some scarfed down breakfast bagels, and lounged around the benches, others smoked their cigarettes. The conversations seemed to stop as soon as they spotted me. A few of Zander's fangirls glared daggers in my direction. In that moment, I decided it was better for me to make a quick exit.

As I turned on my heel, ready to conquer the day, I heard my boyfriend's voice fill the courtyard. My head whipped around to see him ascend the side staircase. My heart dropped. I couldn't even say anything to him. I could only watch, as he came over, grabbed the back of my neck and gently guided my mouth to cover his. The gasps were were impossible to ignore but not uncalled for. What in the world was he thinking? Was he trying to make things worse? Perhaps this was his way of clearing the situation.

When his lips parted mine, I realized I had been holding my breath. His fingers moved up to stroke my red cheeks. "I've made my feelings for this girl clear from day one," Zander said loudly.

My mouth opened to speak but only air escaped. I felt my boyfriend take a hold of my hand. More gasps followed.

"Don't act so surprised," he told everyone. "The only thing that has changed is that you all finally know she wants me just as much as I want her."

I felt my knees quiver. Stop. He had to stop talking. He was making everything so much worse. They didn't have to address it. They could have gone on and acted like all of it was a lie. They could have tried harder to conceal their relationship. If Zander didn't take on the burden of honesty...then everything would have been fine. His gaze dropped on me. I still couldn't bring myself to say anything. My head was spinning with curse words, accusations, scenarios in which all of this would end our relationship.

My body loosened when Zander dragged me out of the courtyard and back into the atrium. "Why?" It was the only thing I could think to ask him.

Zander led me back to the main building until we reached an empty corridor. "Why what?" my boyfriend asked. "Why did I kiss you in front of everyone or why didn't I do more to deny everything?"

I felt the weight of his words rest on my chest. "Both!" I complained, keeping my voice low.

"Because," Zander beamed. "All I have ever wanted was to proudly call you mine, and now I finally can. It feels really amazing, Tommy!"

I hung my head and leaned it against his warm chest. I was hoping it would cool me down but my face remained flushed. "You're such an idiot," I sighed, wrapping my arms around him.