Chapter 81 - Tomasia

Zander was once again under house arrest. No one was allowed to see him, not even me, but that didn't stop me from breaking the rules. I was thankful for Zola. The feisty pre-teen was more than willing to help me sneak inside.

It was quiet in the Easton household and Zola didn't hesitate to tell me why. A lot of the times, Mrs. Easton was able to hide her son's foolishness from her husband, not him breaking his jaw, but the smaller instances. However, the accusation of sleeping with a woman twice his age wasn't something she could cover up. Zander got an earful from both his parents today, and according to Zola, his father threatened to enroll him in boot camp if he didn't smarten up.

My chest clamped up at the thought. I couldn't imagine being apart from him for the rest of high school. As upset as I was with Zander, and as angry as he made me, I couldn't erase him from my heart.

"Go in," Zola whispered, pointing me down the hall. "I'll keep a look out for you."

I grabbed the adorable creature by her shoulders and pecked her forehead. "I owe you double fudge brownies for a year."

"No take backsies," Zola beamed.

I winked at her before I turned the knob and entered the spacious bedroom. I found Zander lying on the hardwood floors, arms and legs sprawled about, as if he was in the middle of making a snow Angel. He had his earphones in, so he didn't hear me come in. I closed the door behind me and walked up to him. He got a whiff of my presence. I watched him pull one of his earphones out.

"I'm not in the mood, Zo," he droned. "Get out."

"No," I replied. "I'm not going anywhere."

Zander jolted up and stared straight at me. He blinked a few times to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. He took it another step further and punched himself. "Are you through?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"H-How are you here?"

I sighed, exasperated by him already. "What? You think you can sneak into my bedroom, but I can't sneak into yours?"

"Fair enough," he replied, standing up. He pulled the other ear piece out, and tossed it on the bed with his smart phone. "I honestly wasn't sure if you remembered me being there last night."

"Okay, well I do remember."

"Tommy—"

"Shut up," I glared, ready to face him. "I thought of a million ways for this conversation to play out, and each one ends with you saying the same thing. You didn't mean to hurt me, you're sorry this happened—"

"I am sorry," he said, moving closer.

"I told you to shut up," I glared, trying not to break under his gaze. "You don't get to talk, you only get to listen. I'm not here to hear your excuses because honestly, at the end of the day, Loyal was right. Your past is your business, and I'm done being hurt by it. I don't need you to be sorry. I don't need you to turn back time. I just need you to be mine."

"I am yours," he said, getting closer still. He reached to hold one of my fingers. His cold touch should have made me flinch but it didn't. Instead, I lingered and allowed him to caress my whole hand. "You have no idea how long I have been yours."

"No more secrets," I demanded, looking at his chest. I couldn't face him with an unsteady heart. "No more lies. And no more prioritizing my brothers' needs over mine."

"Done."

I released the breath I was holding.

"I'm sorry about the election," Zander said.

"Don't be," I scoffed, trying to hide my own disappointment. "I only wanted to run for president to get my mother's attention. And as it turns out, the only thing she cares about is whether or not I'm in a relationship with you."

"Erm, what?"

"Yeah, she told me to make up with you," I laughed. "It was pretty nauseating."

Zander lifted my chin. "So, you're going to date me because it's what your mother wants?"

"I can live without the presidential title, Zander," I said, having no choice but to lock eyes with him. "I can even live without my mother's approval. I'm used to it...I can push myself to get used to it. What I cannot live without is you. Not yet. I'm not strong enough to—and this might be selfish to say, but until then you're stuck with me."

"I'm not strong enough to let you go," he said, softly pecking my lips. I ignored the butterflies fluttering in my stomach, and the urge that spiralled inside me to throw myself at him.

"Zola told me about boot camp," I said, trying to change the subject. "I'm guessing your dad was really mad about this going to court."

"I don't have to testify," came the calm reply. "Dad's lawyer has enough evidence to charge Findlay but I don't know if I want to take it that far. She didn't take advantage of me. Technically, I took advantage of her."