Chapter 64 - Loyal

My jaw was still throbbing. I never thought Kohaku would have such a solid right hook. He got me really good, and had been avoiding me ever since. I really wanted him to cave to my demands, no matter what, but I needed a new angle. If he was gay then maybe I could seduce him into listening? It wouldn't be easy, especially if I wasn't his type. I could consult Hino and find out his brother's preferences, like whether he was top or bottom...? If by some miracle I was his type, how far would I have to go to seduce him?

My face flushed. "Crap, that's fucked up, even for me," I thought aloud.

I normally wouldn't have any problem pushing people's buttons, but I couldn't get Kohkau's expression out of my head. He looked so hurt right before he struck me. Maybe I shouldn't have tossed Narumi's name into the conversation. I had no idea how long it had been since Kohaku came out of the closet. Maybe the topic was still taboo for him? If I egged him on even more, he might hit me again.

I turned off the shower tap and stepped out to wrap a towel around my waist. I combed my wet hair away from my face before wiping the steam off the sink mirror. A hard knock came at the door. I opened it and came face to face with Hino.

"Hey, you're home," I said. "What happened?"

Hino shook his head. "Nothing, I just wanted to remind you that we have to be at Jackheights in an hour. Zander and Khaleel are meeting us by the front doors."

"Alright, give me fifteen minutes to get ready," I replied, moving past my friend. I didn't even get a chance to walk into the guest room. Kohaku turned the corner and got in the way.

"Oh—hey," I said to him.

His eyes fell to my chest for a second. Then he quickly averted his gaze and pushed past me without any sort of greeting. I whipped back to watch him storm down the stairs. "What the hell is his problem?" Hino asked. "He looks pissed."

"Yeah," I sighed. "He's mad at me."

Hino followed me into the guest bedroom. "Why?" he asked, leaning by the door. "What did you do?"

"I tried to blackmail him," I replied.

Hino raised his brow. "With what?"

I wondered if my friend could handle the truth. He cared deeply for his brother, and I didn't want to put a damper on their relationship by worrying him. Then again, if I didn't say anything then Kohaku might. "The fact that he's gay," I admitted.

Silence.

Hino didn't say anything to me, he just turned around, closed the door behind him, and left. It was a clear sign of agitation. I knew I hit a nerve as soon as I said it but I couldn't take it back. I wouldn't be able to deny it if Kohaku accused me either. The easiest thing to do was be up front. I had to stop second guessing myself when I knew the truth would always be the better option.

I changed into a track suit, pulled up some socks, and styled my hair properly. By the time I was done, Hino came knocking at my door again. I played it cool and invited him inside, but to my surprise, he showed up with Kohaku.

"What's going on?" I asked, moving away from the vanity mirror. The Matsunaga brothers looked tense and frigid. I knew it was my doing, I could admit to that, but I wondered if it was too late to fix things. I didn't care either way, but I didn't want to make things uncomfortable for Hino.

"Haku," Hino said, nudging his brother.

Kohaku rolled his eyes before crossing his arms and glaring daggers at me. "I'm not sorry for punching you. What you said was fucking out of line and I think you know that...but you're a guest in our home, so...I should apologize for being a hostile host."

"I did deserve it," I admitted. "Sorry for using your sexual orientation as a one-up."

Hino exhaled sharply. "Good, now that that's out of the way, Haku is going to help us get access to the school administrative site."

My eyes widened. "Really? In exchange for what?"

"You deleting that video you showed me," Kohaku said, still glaring. "And keeping your mouth shut about me being gay."

I nodded.

Narumi definitely didn't know her son played for the other team, and it wasn't my place to question how long he planned on staying in the closet. Deleting the video I took in exchange for access to the administrative site was a win-win. My eyes shifted to Hino. What exactly did he say to his brother to make him agree to this? He was crafty when he needed to be. I was surprised Hino didn't ask me to apologize to him, for hurting his older brother.

"Fine," I said, walking up to Kohaku and offering my hand. "Let's shake on it."

He groaned and looked at his little brother for approval before complying. Hino witnessed the transaction from the sidelines.

I faked a smile. "Your cooperation is appreciated."

"Uh-huh, I'm sure it is," Kohaku droned.