Chapter 88 - Loyal

I got an emergency text message from my sister at eleven in the evening. All she wrote was, 'come home, I think mom and dad are actually going to file for divorce.' I wanted to answer back and say I didn't care but I just couldn't. Even if their divorce was for the better, I knew Tomasia had been dreading this day from a very young age. She said she didn't care if she was second to me, as long as we lived as one big happy family. Reality was cruel and it smashed her dreams to pieces not long after that. I might not concern myself with my parent's twisted relationship, but Tomasia was different. Out of the four of us, she was the only good soul.

I dashed out of the Matsunaga home wearing track pants, a heavy sweater, and running shoes. The night air was chilling but also refreshing; it helped cool off my pessimistic thoughts. I hadn't seen my father since we failed therapy. And last I heard from my mother, she wanted me to pick a different academy to attend. I wasn't sure if my presence was going to help the situation either. It could add more fuel to the fire but I had to risk it.

Twenty minutes later, I buzzed myself into the manor and raced up the dimly lit driveway. I pushed through the bulky doors and listened for the sound of arguing. To my surprise, the manor was quiet. A housekeeper walked out from the dinning area and gasped at the sight of me. I apologized for frightening her, and asked if she had seen my sister anywhere. The housekeeper directed me towards the den.

The doors to the study were shut but I could hear voices conversing inside. I recognized one to be Tomasia and the other to be our father. I stormed in to catch them off guard and took centre stage. Silence claimed the den. I took that opportunity to search for our mother but she wasn't there. Had she already left the manor? Was I too late?

"I suppose you're here to gloat," my father said, staring at me. He was in his favourite set of silk pyjamas and held a glass of water in hand.

I refused to speak to him, so I directed my response at Tomasia. "Why would I gloat about this?"

My sister avoided eye contact with our father. He picked up on her guilty expression fairly quickly. I couldn't help but feel confused by the whole interaction. "So, you did this without his knowing," our father said. "I'm quite impressed. I didn't think you had it in you to lie to your brother like this."

"Tommy," I said, getting her to flinch. "Where is mom?"

"She's sleeping in ignorance," my sister replied. "I didn't know what else I could say to get you here except that. Sorry."

My eyes widened. Tomasia lied about our parents getting a divorce? And I wasn't able to pick up on it because it was over text message. I wouldn't have been able to pick up on it over the phone either. Tomasia knew this and she used it to lure me to the manor? Why? What the hell was going on? And why did she look so angry and yet determined?

"If you don't start talking then I'm walking out," I said to her.

"You can come back to Jackheights."

I wanted her to be lying. I had never been so desperate to call her out on her bullshit before but I couldn't. There were no lies detected. If I was normal, if I didn't have the abilities that I did, at this point in the conversation, I would be in denial. I would refuse to believe anything coming out of her mouth. "You can graduate with your friends like you wanted," she added. I looked past her and glared daggers at our father. I wasn't able to detect lies from my sister because she believed her words were the whole truth. "Is that what he told you?" I asked. "I don't believe it for an instant. And you shouldn't either, Tommy—"

"Believe it or don't," our father scoffed, setting his glass of water on the desk. "This isn't how I wanted you to return. If you showed even an ounce of remorse for what you did, if you had the decency to come to me like your sister did, and make your case—"

"Stop it," Tomasia intervened. "We're done here."

I watched her move towards me and grab a hold of my arm. I was immediately dragged out of the den. Tomasia released me when we came to stand by the stairway. "It's not a lie, Loyal," she said assertively. "You can come back to Jackheights on Monday."

"In exchange for what?" I scoffed, implying there was always a cost to pay when our father was involved.

"In exchange for leaving the student council and Matilda alone."

I blinked at her. "Excuse me?"

"I did this," she said, crossing her arms. "I'm the one who got you back into Jackheights, not dad, not mom, me. So, I'm the one you need to worry about. I'm the one you owe. And the only thing I'm asking of you in exchange is to leave my friends alone."

My brain felt like it was about to shut down. "W-Where is this coming from?" I stammered.

"You drove my only friend away," Tomasia glared. "You paid him off because you wanted to control my life. You, dad, and mom. The three of you have been playing puppeteer my whole life and I'm fucking sick of it."

I couldn't form any words.

"This is why they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree," she continued. "If manipulation and coercion is the only language this family understands, then it's about time I learn to speak it."