Chapter 82 - Arisa

The assembly finished right before lunch. Students were dismissed to spend their time leisurely, after they retrieved their books and bags from their second period classes. Khaleel walked me into the cafeteria through the auditorium's back exit. To our surprise, Matilda and Loyal were already there waiting for us. It was as if they knew we would try to avoid the crowd. Khaleel took a hold of my arm and moved in front, protectively.

My eyes connected with Matilda first. She didn't look as angry as I expected her too. Maybe I was wrong to assume that she would see it as a betrayal? I didn't want my decision to become the new VP to put more strain on our already awkward relationship.

"I know you're pissed," Khaleel said, speaking to Loyal. "But it wasn't my place to tell you anything."

"Oh, it wasn't?" Loyal scoffed. "If you believe that then this is a whole different problem."

Matilda nudged Loyal. It caught me off guard a little. When did they get close? Maybe they weren't? Or maybe it was because Tomasia had to bow out of the presidential race? Whatever. It wasn't my place to question their relationship. I had other, more important things to worry about. Like what Loyal was going to do now that he knew I was the student body's new Vice President?

"What?" Loyal asked Matilda.

"Stop demanding things from Khaleel," she said.  "You don't even go here anymore."

Loyal glared daggers at her. "Who's side are you on?"

"Yours but you need to take a breath," Matilda said. Yeah. They weren't definitely closer than before. He had never shown any interest in Matilda while we were together. The former VP's focus landed on her former flame. "Khaleel, maybe we should let them talk it out in private?"

My boyfriend glanced back at me for confirmation. I rolled my eyes. "Loyal, I don't know why you're acting so surprised," I said, moving forward. "You know how I feel about the business you operate. I want to find a more ethical way to help students graduate."

"Don't talk to me about ethics," Loyal retorted. "Not when you just took a massive dump on everything I worked so hard to maintain."

"Findlay is gone," I argued. "Fired. How are you going to continue anything without her?"

"I would have figured something out, but I can't anymore because you decided to play hero," Loyal clapped back.

"I'm not trying to play hero, I'm just trying to protect someone I care about," I huffed. "Were you seriously considering moving forward with your services when you don't even go here anymore?"

"And what if I was? Who is going to stop me?" He laughed before putting emphasis on, "You?"

"I told you this once before," I grinned, my blood boiling. "But I'll say it again, don't underestimate me."

Matilda exhaled tirelessly.

"Why aren't you saying anything, Khaleel?" Loyal asked, changing targets.

Khaleel raised his brow. "I said I wasn't going to be the enforcer anymore. And I told Arisa not to take the VP position because of me. I'm trying to stay neutral here."

"That's bullshit and you know it," Loyal rebuffed.

Matilda tried to nudge Loyal again but this time he ignored her. He was too riled up. Too angry to see reason. He was clearly struggling to accept the fact that he was no longer in charge of Jackheights, or his friends for that matter.

"How is it bullshit?" Khaleel asked. "I care about both of you—"

"You care about both of us?" Loyal interrupted. "Right, okay. Then tell me who were you hanging out with this summer? Who did you pass me up for?"

Matilda and I glanced at one another awkwardly.

"Are you serious?" Khaleel snapped. "I tried to call and text...a bunch of fucking times. It's not my fault you wouldn't answer. You think I would go out of my way to hang out with someone who kept leaving me on read?"

"You always bulldoze into my business without permission, Khaleel," Loyal said, looking hurt. "Me not answering has never stopped you before. Just admit it. You were choosing sides."