Chapter 24 - Arisa

The first week of school flew by. It helped that Khaleel wasn't avoiding me anymore. We came to an understanding about our feelings for one another and the expectations that came with it. We both liked each other, but I wanted to take things slowly and cautiously. I wasn't in a rush to be hurt again but I wanted to monopolize the school delinquent for myself. Khaleel said he had no issues with monopolization. After struggling to understand what dating someone meant, he was happy to be with me without labels. Ironically, it was all he ever wanted a girl to agree to.

Our first real date ended up being dinner with mom and Kumar at the condo. Khaleel insisted they officially meet one another, since he was planning on hanging around me a lot more. Mom was happy to oblige to the dinner request, as was Kumar. I suggested ordering-in but Kumar was completely against the idea. He insisted on cooking for everyone. He had a few snacks set on the table when we arrived to his place. They looked foreign, full of colour, and spice, so I assumed they were from Pakistan.

"This all looks great," mom said. She was seated in the eating area next to the kitchen. I hadn't been past the living room, so I was surprised by its existence. Kumar's condo looked like a studio at first glance, but it had little nooks and turns that revealed it's impressive size.

"What else are you making?" I asked Kumar. He was standing over the stove, wearing a lemon patterned apron and his favourite Mickey Mouse slippers. He had Khaleel chopping apples and tangerines on the counter behind him. To my delightful surprise, the delinquent was also looking domestic in a TMNT apron. I had to stifle my laugh when he greeted me at the door. I snuck a few snaps of his ensemble for Sumaya. I knew she, of all people, would get a good kick out of it.

"I made some traditional rice and a chicken curry dish I'm just about to finish seasoning," Kumar informed. "I also made Lassi for all of us, it's a refreshing drink a lot of South Asians enjoy. It's chilling in the fridge at the moment but I'll bring it out later. And Khaleel here is working on making his famous sweet and savoury salad."

"His famous?" I gasped.

"It's not a big deal, don't get all excited about it," Khaleel droned.

"Culinary skills are just as essential for men as they are for women," Kumar beamed. "Wouldn't you agree, Mrs. Hoffman?"

"Please...call me Astrid," mom said.

"Astrid?" Khaleel perked up. "What a pretty name."

"You can keep calling me Mrs. Hoffman."

Khaleel's cheeks flushed a bit before he replied to her. "Yeah—sure, of course."

My laugh was in sync with Kumar's.

Half an hour later, everyone was stuffed with the delicious dishes Kumar and Khaleel presented. I particularly enjoyed the Lassi. It was sweet and tasted like frozen yogurt. Khaleel said he preferred his to have more salt than sugar. He let me try a sip but it was too bitter for my taste. Mom on the other hand, seemed to thoroughly enjoy both. It looked like she was having fun, at least, I hoped she was. I would have loved it if dad was there too, but his work was keeping him away for another year or so. It was our sad reality but I had to force myself not to let it bother me too much. Dad was doing his best for us from where he was, so I had to be patient.

Kumar entertained mom with his travel stories while I helped Khaleel clean up and load the dishwasher. My crush, he looked like he was in a really good mood. I was happy to see him relax a little, especially after the threats he received from Loyal's former clients. They were saying they would expose my ex-boyfriend for all his wrongdoings if the business didn't continue to blossom. I didn't understand what good that would do? If Loyal went down then he would take all of them with him. It was all so juvenile. Why couldn't they just pick up a book for once and actually try to study on their own? Had they forgotten how to? Had they become so reliant on the human lie detector that they had no other choice but to cheat?

"You still space out a lot huh?" Khaleel commented. I turned to face him. He was holding out a glass for me to accept.

"Sorry," I said, accepting it. I set it in the dishwasher rack, next to the other glasses. "I was just thinking about Loyal's clients."

"What about them?"

"I think we should find another way to help them pass their tests and exams. Something that doesn't require hacking into the school's app or manipulating employees to get all the answers."

"You have an idea?" Khaleel asked, moving in to shut the dishwasher. He leaned against the counter and crossed his arms.

I grabbed a dish-towel off the island and dried my hands with it. "Maybe," I replied. "I was thinking we could look at the exams the alumni took and create mock-tests? It might not be a hundred percent accurate but it might keep the desperate students at bay."

"We would need to get the student council's help to get the older tests," Khaleel pointed out. "But that's not a bad idea, Hoffman. I'm impressed."

My cheeks flushed. "T-Thanks."

Khaleel looked back to see if mom and Kumar were paying attention to us. They weren't. He leaned down to peck my lips. "You're such a good girl," he said sweetly.