Chapter 78 - Khaleel

The entire school was ready to shit marbles by the first period. Students weren't allowed to use their phones in class and if we were caught doing so, the teachers confiscated them for the day. Hino and I couldn't risk telling Loyal about Tommy's loss and neither could Zander. I was sure he would find out about it one way or another. If he was lucky, his sister would text him herself.

As expected, Zander was in a whole lot of trouble after his affair with Findlay surfaced. His parents were called in and the dean suspended him for three days. And according to his voice memos from that morning, he wasn't allowed to go to the school assembly either. Hino wanted to send updates during, but that would be hard to manage with Hermans breathing down our necks. He was eyeing us like a hawk through second period, evidently suspicious of our involvement with the recent scandal.

Findlay and Zander's affair wasn't the only thing uploaded on the administrative site. Findlay and Falcon's affair was exposed too. It was obvious that Hermans was taking the news hard. He outright told his students he was fond of his student teacher and that he had no idea his intentions to return to Jackheights was for something so twisted. Hermans was also pissed that he lost the helping hand he was promised prior to the start of the semester.

By the end of politics, my phone buzzed with messages from Loyal. He was demanding answers both in the group chat and privately. I tucked my phone away just as Hermans turned away from the chalkboard.

As if on cue, the intercom went off and a member of the administration addressed everyone. "Good afternoon students and faculty, the school assembly will begin in the main auditorium as scheduled. Term four students, please begin to make your way down."

This was the protocol. They were going to make three more announcements to order term three, term two, and term one students down. I eyed Hino who was already looking in my direction. He was the only one besides me who knew about Joon Lee approaching Arisa about the VP position. I wanted to confide in someone about it. I wanted him to tell me that it wasn't a totally crazy idea and that Loyal would eventually get over it. Unfortunately, Hino couldn't tell me what I wanted to hear.

Ten minutes later, the intercom went off again. "Term three students, please begin to make your way to the auditorium."

"You heard the lady," Hermans said, looking at us. "Pack up your things and line up outside the door."

I stood up with the rest of my peers and we all quietly obeyed Hermans orders. Hino and I watched him lock the door to his classroom before he led us down the hall to the staircase. We were one of the two last students in line, waiting for the right opportunity to slip away and get in contact with Loyal, but it was proving to be too fucking hard.

Hermans allowed the line of students to descend while he stayed in place to make sure he didn't lose sight of us. "You two," he said, calling us out.

"What's up, sir?" I asked.

Hermans eyed the girl in front of me to keep moving, leaving Hino and I in the hands of our teacher. "Head to the dean's office," he said promptly.

"What for?" Hino asked.

"I think you know what for," Hermans replied.

There was an uncomfortable silence.

"You didn't think you could assault a student teacher and get away with it, did you?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

Another section of term three students descended the stairs. Hino grabbed a hold of my arm and moved me out of the way. Hermans didn't bother to stick around. He had to escort the rest of his students to the auditorium.

"We're not going to the dean's office," Hino breathed. "Are we?"

"Fuck no," I said, still laughing.

"I can't believe Falcon reported it as assault," Hino said, shaking his head. "Zander was the only one who landed a hit."

"Guess I'll have to show him what it actually means to be assaulted," I beamed.